PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle P&S

Rocky Sharwell
12-23-2010, 11:52 AM
What would be your ideal wide angle P&S? I have a Canon G10 which I like but would like something wider--as it was not wide enough for some street scenes in NYC....

William Malacarne
12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I have not used P&S for a number of years....that said some cameras, if the have a threaded front lens, you can put a WA adapter on it. Back in the mid ninety's I had an Olympus that worked very well with it and also a TC.

Bill

Flavio Rose
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
The Panasonic LX5 has 24 mm equivalent versus the G10's 28 mm. Can't recall seeing a P&S with a wider lens than 24 mm. There's a 7-14 mm (i.e., 14-28 mm equivalent) Panasonic lens for Micro 4/3 cameras but it's fairly large so even if you attached it to a G10-sized Micro 4/3 body, the combo would be rather hefty.

Roger Clark
12-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Need wider? Just do a mulit-frame mosaic. No limits then.

Roger

Rocky Sharwell
12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Need wider? Just do a mulit-frame mosaic. No limits then.

Roger

I would do the mosaic thing if I was photographing a scene that was static--but I do not think it would work well for street photography in NYC. The 5DMkII and the 16-35 work well but are just a bit on the heavy side for walking around all day.

Roger Clark
12-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Rocky,

A little planning and moving subjects can be imaged. There are many mosaics on my webiste of moving animals. For example, if in a city, you want to do a street scene that includes the buildings. Put the camera horizontal (landscape mode), and image the moving part first, then image the area above it in the next frame. The buildings are static, so it will work. If a horizontal panorama, choose a gap in moving in subjects for the seam between frames. It can work most of the time.

Roger