PDA

View Full Version : Alcedo Atthis

Andrew George
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes I'm a bit sorry...a classical portrait of a common KF. I would like to try to shoot something more "out of the box", but as a recent find close to home (The Netherlands) I shot this one @ first with low light levels and not too many chances.
The weather is not like spring time as it should be now, but on the other hand this kind of rainy days kept the BG a bit darker and more deep colors in the KF. That's why I like this one myself.

D300
200-400 VR @ 400mm
ISO400
F5.0
1/50sec
Fullframe
Tripod
Angle finder
Cable release
Mirror lock up
Hide
A lot of patience

Gus Cobos
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey Andrew,
Very very nice photo. I love the bright colors and the subdue background blends very well . Composition is excellent...:D In my opinion, I would eliminate the two small twigs hanging from the main branch; otherwise, ITS GREAT

A BIG CONGRATS...:D:D
Gus Cobos...:cool:

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Ι really like the pose,details and the clean bg

Andrew George
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey Andrew,
Very very nice photo. I love the bright colors and the subdue background blends very well . Composition is excellent...:D In my opinion, I would eliminate the two small twigs hanging from the main branch; otherwise, ITS GREAT

A BIG CONGRATS...:D:D
Gus Cobos...:cool:

Thanks..I just the two twigs hanging as I would thought it would "break" the emptyness...thanks for your thoughts.

Stephen Stephen
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
The bird is stunning Andrew. I might be tempted to crop this into a portrait format to eliminate most of the OOF portions of the branch. This would allow the viewer to really concentrate on this beautiful bird.

Gayle Clement
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
This is a very beautiful bird. Great sharpness and clarity. Stephen's suggestion of a portrait crop is a good one.

Alexander Koenders
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I like the picture verry much and further I agree with Gus.

Kaushik Balakumar
03-17-2008, 03:21 PM
very well made image under overcast conditions.

TFS.

Daniel Cadieux
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Gorgeous colous!! I've come to appreciate this type of weather for bird photography, and this image shows why. Quite sharp for 1/50s. great technique to achieve this.