PDA

View Full Version : An Eagle's Sunrise Breakfast

Mark Perry
12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
This image was taken by 1DMIV, AV, @ f5.6 , 700mm (500mm f4 +1.4x TC), ISO 640, 1/2500 sec. and handhelded.

I was walking to my car at my hotel (which is sits on the banks of the Mississippi River) just before sunrise to load it up/clean the snow and ice off of it when I spotted a bald eagle scoping the river right in front of me. I grabbed my camera and snapped a burst. This is one of my favorites. It was a foggy, misty, no cloud in the sky sunrise morning.

Jim Buescher
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
This shows that a frame filling subject with lots of detail isn't needed to make a good image. The fog adds a sense of solitude to this wonderful behavior/habitat image.

Randy Stout
12-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Mark:

Good job to see this shaping up and react.
Agree with Jim about images without large in frame subject.

This one really lends itself to tweaking with parametric curves in ACR. All sorts of interesting variations are possible.

Cheers

Randy

Were you near one of the Lock and Dams doing some eagle shooting?

Mark Perry
12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Randy,

Yes, I was in La Claire on business and was shooting at LD 14 in early am and the evenings.
This was 3 miles North of LD 14.

Arthur Morris
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
One of many possibilities. Whatever you choose to do with the color, the fog needs to be brighter. I think that the rule of thirds crop strengthens it while still leaving a sense of fog and space and solitude.

Andrew Aveley
12-25-2010, 04:27 AM
i really enjoy images that are full of mood and intrigue. The repost here adds loads of that and gives it that little extra:)