PDA

View Full Version : Arches NP

Ron Bernstein
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
More fun with HDR Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, dfine and CS 5. Canon 5d with Canon 15 mm fisheye. ISO 400. F8. Criticism welcomed; happy holidays to all!!

Dave Mills
12-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Ron, I like the pathway leading to Turret Arch along with the tree that is turned into a partial silhouette.
IMO sometimes more is not better. In this case I would have preferred the tree not centered. I cropped out the red rock on the left and feel the comp is stronger without it. The brightness and color of the rock can't help but draw the eye....

Robert Amoruso
12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Dave brought up some good points. I like the HDR processing as it looks natural and leaving a silhouette was a good move too.

Ron Bernstein
12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Here is a cropped alternative comp, with the remaining red rocks darkened via Nik Color Efex Pro's dark/lighten center and a locally applied curve down.
Is that what you had in mind, guys? Thanks?

Bill Randall
12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I like both versions. I have viewed this scene many time and photographed it many times, but not near as successfully. You made a very common scene into somethin quite unique. Eerie too.

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey Ron,
Ive got to applaud your efforts.....this is definitely a bit unique! I am a bit bothered by the darker outline on the ledt......and I like the crop diredtion. I think this is a pretty interesting take on this.....and it is a bit surreal.....in a good way!

Jay Gould
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
First, I think you should change your intro from "criticism" to "comments". All comments are positive suggestions; not criticisms!

Second, I like the RP, and I especially like the star. Was it there or did you add it?

Third, I would lighten the top of the left most tall rock, and I would crop from the bottom closer to the base of the trunk.

Dave Mills
12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Ron, I think the repost is an improvement but agree with Roman regarding the darker outline on the left.
All in all (in my experience) this is a different and effective view of Turret Arch taken at a great time of day...

Roger Clark
12-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Ron,
(or anyone) When did they put in the steps? Last time I was there is was a trail (if I remember correctly). I guess an escalator is next.

The image is surreal. I do not care for the black outlines on the rocks from the hdr processing. I alss think a vertical composition with all the tall rocks on the left cropped out might be more interesting, more surreal. I'm also wondering about the black arch and black top part of ythe tree with lots of detail in the bottom of the tree and the foreground. Certainly not natural--just surreal. It is a pretty cool effect though.:)

Did you take any images from the right side of the path, and lower down? I think the tree may frame the path better.

Roger