PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse - 13 image composite

Douglas Bolt
12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Canon 7D with 400mm DO and 1.4 TC taken at various settings from 1/4s, f5.6,ISO 1600 to 1/250sm f7,1m USI 100.

Larger versions of these individual images, plus a "video" of several images taken with a 5D and 100-400 can be viewed at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=5 The video was made with Pictures2Exe and fades numerous still images to appear video-like.

The first image shown was taken at 12:47 and the last at 3:58. The reported max was at 3:17 in the Washington, DC area.

Dave Mills
12-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Doug, The diagonal makes for an interesting presentation. I feel the sequence is well handled with good exposure and detail. Not sure if the abruptness in color and shape of the moon flows. Almost appears like 2 different worlds as opposed to a transformation...

Douglas Bolt
12-23-2010, 03:42 AM
I certainly agree on the color change issue. I exposed to prevent blinkies. So, while the moon was illuminated by the sun, a "sunny 16" approach was in effect (or there abouts). But, once the moon was in the shade, I exposed for the shadows. The change is also evident in the video.

Robert Amoruso
12-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Very cool, I like it Douglas.
Diagonal presentation good idea.

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Douglas,
A very cool presentation! You may consider going with a few less phases.....for a bolder presntation.....but a great overall idea and very cool presentation.

Roger Clark
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
All the eclipse sequences presented so far have time increasing to the right, which is the perspective of the rotation of the Earth. Another way to do it is relative to the position of the shadow (pretty much fixed with respect to the stars). The Moon then moves to the left with time. If only a few images are presented, and if you have both sides of the eclipse, than you can see the outline of the Earth's shadow.

For presentations up close like this one (and the others), I tend to like the time to the left presentation. I would like to see someone try that.

Roger