PDA

View Full Version : Pointsettia

Dave Leroy
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
I dropped into our local library and by chance picked up Freeman Patterson's book Photography and the art of Seeing. This is my first attempt.

I have another version which is a bit brighter, but it loses some of the detail.
50D, 100mm Macro at f/16, .8sec, ISO200, indoors with a desk lamp providing some side lighting.

Dave

kostas nianiopoulos
12-23-2010, 03:09 AM
first time i see this leaf of and this plant Dave , and i have to say i love your image , you BG is great as well , nice done !!!

Aidan Briggs
12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
This is great Dave! I like the dark rendition, and the intense color and texture really make this image. I wonder about maybe backing off on the reds a little and accentuating the greens around the veins a little more. Anyway, an excellent image!

Dave Woeller
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I also like the darker colors here. I like the nice sharp detail and smooth background. You did very well with the placement of the desklamp, and the lighting is striking in my opinion. If I were to change anything at all, i might like to see how this looks with just a touch of clockwise rotation, just for an alternative look. Nice done, and keep em coming.

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Dave,
Well......I love the dramatic lighting with all the bold color and details.....not loving the LLC that is darker and pulling my eye. If you scroll to eliminate it.....you will see what I mean. I think for your next attempt if you light that similar to the dramatic light in the rest.....then this comp will shine!!! Just something to think about and way to experiment!

Dave Leroy
12-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I forgot to mention that I also had all my Kenko tubes on, 68mm total, so not a lot of room for moving things around too much.

And Aidan good catch on a bit lighter on reds and more accent on greens/yellows. I had tried to do this and just could not quite get as far as I would have liked.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Dave, Roman covered my critique pretty well....there's lots to love about this shot but that dark corner is somewhat distracting. I'm not sure anything can be done to fix that in PP but it might be worth a try. :)

Dave Leroy
12-24-2010, 06:41 PM
I had followed up on Roman's suggestion of lightening the troublesome corner.

A bit of work with the adjustment brush in ACR as well as S/H in CS4.

I also tried to reduce the red a bit and bring up the yellows and greens.

After Ken's comment I thought I would repost just to see the difference in the two posts.

Dave

Steve Maxson
12-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Dave. An interesting photo with lots of detail. Like Roman, I thought the darkness of the LLC was pulling my eye - the repost is a big improvement, IMO. I'm on the road working from a laptop so I can't comment critically on the subtle color changes - maybe some other folks will chime in on that point. :)

Anita Bower
12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Beautiful textures and colors! Great composition and light. I would crop off the bottom to eliminate dark LR corner. I think it is wonderful when a book inspires us to see and try new things! :)

Amy DeStefanis
12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I like the original as posted. Reminds me of stained glass. The original looks more 3-dimensional to me, and as for the LR corner, maybe bring it up JUST a little.... But I prefer the orig to the repost because in the repost, to me, the LR corner doesn't have nearly the texture of the rest of the image, so it seems out of place. I agree that if you were to crop a little off the bottom, maybe minimize the dark LR corner, it would make that shape roughly mirror the shape of the UL corner, and might be a good balance... ???

Amy D.

Ken Childs
12-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi Dave, I was just taking another look at this when I thought that instead of trying to lighten up the LRC, you might try darkening the ULC. Just something else to try. :)

Dave Leroy
12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Lots of good ideas to have a look at so thanks everyone.

I do have another without the dark corner that i will also have another look.

Dave