PDA

View Full Version : Turn in the Rain

Mike Fuhr
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I took this photo last month -- it was a gloomy, rainy day so I shot a few pics from my car. Tough to get anything real sharp (needed a bean bag!). These guys are tough with their dark color, even worse with a white sky. :2eyes2: Anyway, this guy spent some time eying me while I photographed him. Wish the rump was a bit sharper but I like the turn and look.

Crop and some sharpening

D300
100-300 F4
F/4 (-1.67)
1/400
ISO 500

HH

Harshad Barve
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
excellent pose here and I liked the surroundings , VWD
TFS

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Mike,

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma?

I like the pose too and the grass. If it is WMNWR, a favorite place to photograph bison.

When I photograph them I do the same as I do with the bears, I expose highlights to clipping to get the best shadow detail and post-process the highlights using recovery in ACR.

Marc Mol
12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice detail on this dark subject Mike, like the head turn also.
TFS

Todd Frost
12-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I too like the pose. Exposure looks good with nice environment. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Mike Fuhr
12-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Mike,

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma?

I like the pose too and the grass. If it is WMNWR, a favorite place to photograph bison.

When I photograph them I do the same as I do with the bears, I expose highlights to clipping to get the best shadow detail and post-process the highlights using recovery in ACR.

Thanks Robert -- haven't been down to WNWR in a while. I need to get back there. This was at the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in northern Oklahoma. ACR??

Steve Canuel
12-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice profile of the head and some good detail in that fur on the face. I also like the color contrast of the grass. I think a slight darkening of the lighter fur of the back will help the head stand out more.

Robert Amoruso
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Robert -- haven't been down to WNWR in a while. I need to get back there. This was at the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in northern Oklahoma. ACR??

Mike, thanks. I have been to Tallgrass yet but should. I have relatives in OK so when I am visiting I will go different places to photograph. WMNWR is nice because they actually have large hills there so you can get some interesting backgrounds.

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw.

Mike Fuhr
12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Mike, thanks. I have been to Tallgrass yet but should. I have relatives in OK so when I am visiting I will go different places to photograph. WMNWR is nice because they actually have large hills there so you can get some interesting backgrounds.

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw.

Got it Thanks! Let me know when you visit. We can get off the beaten path on Tallgrass where there are some great landscape and wildlife ops.

Morkel Erasmus
12-23-2010, 05:46 PM
impressive specimen here Mike and I like the look-sideways-pose...
wish for a tad more space at the bottom as the legs seem "chopped off" if you know what I mean
I think you did well in adverse conditions!

Hendri Venter
01-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Very nice pose/head turn as mentioned. I'm with Morkel here on a tad more space at the bottom.