PDA

View Full Version : Flower against white BG

Jerry van Dijk
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Here's a flower (a very interesting one, but I don't know it's name) from a bouqet of my parents-in-law againts their white wall. The things one does to avoid conversation.....!:p

Panasonic DMC FZ-18, handheld, 15 mm (90 mm equivalent), Suntec 4+ closeup lens, ISO 100, f/3.6, 1/15 sec.
ACR 5.0./CS4: exposure, curves, clarity, saturation, chromatic aberration corr., sharpness. Cloned out a protruding twig in front of the OOF flower.

Comments please! I don't shoot flowers indoors very often..

Dave Leroy
12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I hope the in-laws get to see the pretty flower!

Very well done. Colours look very nice and i really like the nice mottled or textured looking bg.

I just wonder if a bit of a move to the right would have put some separation between the in focus blossom and the first bud without messing up the bg flower?

Dave

kostas nianiopoulos
12-23-2010, 03:11 AM
a pretty image of a pretty flower nicely done , if it was mine , maybe i will try to clone out the one flower that is out of the focus . :)

Norm Dulak
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Jerry.

While this is a pleasing image, I agree with Kostas that it might be a good idea to clone out the oof flower. :)

If you did that, it also might be possible to crop out more of the stem, possibly going to a more vertically cropped image.

Some things to consider, but nice as it is.

Norm

Dave Woeller
12-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Very nice flower. I agree witht he thoughts above, but lean more towads a square crop. I would bring up the bottom to just above the lower joint on the stem and adjust the sides to get the best positon for the flower. This is just my thoughts for another look. Well done.

Stu Bowie
12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Jerry, this is an orchid, but not sure of the name. The colours stand out nicely against the white BG. I agree to remove the OOF orchid, and moving to your right would have given you a clearer view of the orchid, without intersecting one of the leaves.

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Jerry,
As presented, I would have to agree with the above suggestions. I do think you were on to something with the OOF flower.....but perhaps a different angle? not sure it was possible to get it into a better blance with the FG one. I do also think the 1 bud neares the bloom could have been removed......but I'd bet that would start a whole new conversation:D:2eyes2:!!! Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

Andrew McLachlan
12-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Jerry, I agree with the comments above. A square crop might be the way to go here. Love the blossom against the white wall. This flower looks like it could be a Stargazer Lily, not 100% sure, but it is definitely some type of lily.

Jerry van Dijk
12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks all, for your comments! I think a slightly different angle as suggested by some of you would have been the way to go here. It would have separated the OOF flower and the bud and flower in the FG. I tried cloning out the OOF flower (already before posting the original image), but it left an uninteresting composition. I think I have another frame isolating the flower, which might lend itself for the square crop suggested. I'll have a go at it and post it later if succesful.

Ken Childs
12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Jerry, I'm in agreement with those that suggested a different angle when taking the shot. If you'd been able to get a little higher and to the right, I think you might have been able to keep the flowers, buds and stems all separate from each other and would have shown more of the cool flower colors and patterns.

Anita Bower
12-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Avoid conversation?! You wouldn't be an introvert, would you? I'll keep your trick in mind.

I'm amazed this was hand-held. Good job! Wonderful focus just where it should be--on the main flower. I like white BGs and this one works well here. I like this image a lot.

Jerry van Dijk
12-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks Ken and Anita. I'll be visiting my inlaws again soon. I'll try to engage in conversation AND try to get another flower shot :D!