PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sparrow feeding

Dan Busby
12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I have lots of good Tree Sparrow photos taken near feeders and almost always on tree branches. But yesterday I decided to "get out of town" and search the fields of a nearby organic farm. I was pleased to discover a nice flock of these birds working the weed patches with gusto. The low angle of the sun was working to keep the lighting warm. The main challenge was to freeze the beak action as they were feeding feverishly, chowing constantly on the seeds. From a composition stand point, the big question was whether or not to keep the weed branch above the head .....

All C&C welcome!
Dan
Canon 7D, 500F4+1.4X, f6.3, 1/2000, AP +0.7 comp, ISO 400, AI Servo AF, 40% crop and standard PP.

Bill Dix
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Nicely captured, Dan. Beautiful soft light and I love the spread-legged pose. I would vote for eliminating the URH branch.

Randy Stout
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Dan

I agree with Bill about eliminating the upper twig, and then I would crop down a bit as well.

Nicely exposed. Although it helps with the story, I wish the twig wasn't quite so close to the front of his face.

The light is soft, but in a perfect world, I wish there was a bit more light on the bill area.

cheers

Randy

Paul Guris
12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
I like the image a lot. I'm with Bill on the branch but I wouldn't crop it down any further. I think it would get very tight very quickly.

Alan Murphy
12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice feeding shot. I would brighten the face a bit.

Daniel Cadieux
12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I too would go with eliminating the branch above. Good vertical comp otherwise.

I have lots of good Tree Sparrow photos taken near feeders and almost always on tree branches.

Funny thing for me is that most of my ATS images are of them on the ground (in the snow)!

Stu Bowie
12-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Dan, Im 50/50 on the top branch. On one hand, it frames the sparrow nicely, and by removing it, it doesnt do the image any harm. Good pose and feeding behaviour, and stands out nicely against the lighter BG.

Bojan Krasovec
12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Nicely done, good HA, and I would eliminate top branch .

Andrew Merwin
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I am the contrarian here. I would leave the top branch in. I like the 2 diagonal lines, the implied right angle & the implied triangle. I think the branches very nicely frame the bird. I like this image very much & would leave it as posted.