PDA

View Full Version : Red Ropes Orchid

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Tried to think of something that would be fitting for the season. Came up with this slide scan of an orchid that I photographed at a private greenhouse not far from my home. The greenhouse has an astonishing variety of orchids, many rare and some such as this hybrid that cost a fortune ($1000). Added a little canvas to the top and to the right as it was framed rather tightly.

Look forward to comments.

Jerry van Dijk
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Andrew, those orchids make some lovely subjects for photography!
I like the details and warm colors you captured here and I like the 'glow' of the yellow center against the black BG. I do wish for some more room on the left, to give the flower bud a little more space.

Dave Leroy
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Lovely looking flower with seasonal colours.

Black bg compliments the reds and greens and makes everything pop a bit more.

I also like the nice dof.

Perhaps a bit off the top as well.

Dave

kostas nianiopoulos
12-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Lovely colours , good black BG :)

Andrew McLachlan
12-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for comments. Very much appreciated. I'll try adding a bit more canvas to the left side of the comp. Happy Holidays to all!

Steve Maxson
12-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Andrew. This is very nice for a scanned slide and has excellent sharpness and detail. It is a very attractive flower and it stands out nicely from the dark background. The lighting is also well done. The comp works for me, though the suggested tweaks would make good alternates. :)

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey Andrew,
Love the colors on this one!!! Besides the suggestions above, I think you should consider cleaning up some of the BG leaves near the lady slipper petal.....and then the LLC. Just a minor clean up to really make this shine!

Andrew McLachlan
12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks Steve and Roman for comments. I'll clean-up those leaves a bit - didn't notice them "til you mentioned it Roman.

Aidan Briggs
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I like the dark BG, and the lily really stands out!!! I agree with the advice given above. Should really look good with the suggested tweaks!

Keep them coming!!

Anita Bower
12-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Beautiful. Love the colors and the glow. Nice composition. Works really well with black bg. Some good suggestions. I'd take some off the top. Thanks for sharing.