PDA

View Full Version : Irondale River

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Here is one from my autumn trip. Stopped at a picnic/rest stop along the Irondale River in Eastern Ontario to take a few shots. I have somewhat mixed feelings about this one. Love the submerged landscape, but not much autumn color across the river. Cropped it to a somewhat square format due to no autumn color on left side of river bank.

Nikon D200
12-24mm lens @ 13mm (19mm effective)
ISO 100
f22 @ 4 seconds
Nikon Polarizer

Look forward to comments.

Dave Mills
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Andrew, I seem to have the same feelings you do about the image. I too like the submerged rock but feel there is spotty interest on the shoreline. More color would have made for more impact. I might take out the small bit of yellow foliage on the rt.

Jay Gould
12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Andrew, as it it doesn't grab me; crop it just below the tree trunks so that there is just a bit of the shore - that I like!

The rock becomes literally the center of interest and it is not competing with the chopped off trees.

Robert Amoruso
12-22-2010, 06:29 AM
I like Jay's suggestion Andrew and feel that is the way to go here.

Norm Dulak
12-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Andrew:

While Jay's suggestion may be a good one, I would tend to go the other way, adding more color and texture at the top. Would it be possible to include more of the forest, thereby providing more tonal balance to the submerged rock? :confused:

Norm

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Much thanks for the comments. I'll play around with Jay's crop suggestion. There is no additional forest in the original capture. Might just have to time it better next year and get more color.

Morkel Erasmus
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
kind of on the wire here Andrew...not sure that cropping from the top or adding more there would make this work better for my tastes...I think it might be because the submerged rock isn't as sharp as my eye wants it to be - albeit with it being under moving water that would be near impossible? Maybe if there was a piece of rock jutting out above the surface which could be tack sharp? Sorry if I'm rambling - just my initial thoughts...

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey Andrew,
Down in S Miami.....so not on my monitor. I do like the pano suggesstion......but I want to take another peek at this one when I get homw to see if I can come up with some other ideas.