PDA

View Full Version : Great Cypress in March

Ian Cassell
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Oooops ... I posted this in the East of the Mississippi section before I realized that Florida had its own thread. Sorry.

I'm going to a meeting in Hollywood, Fl in late March 2011 and will have my afternoons free. I'd love to spend some time doing bird photography in the Great Cypress/Everglades. Can anyone recommend a photographer-friendly tour guide/charter boat who is reasonably priced and not out to fleece the tourist?

Michael Pancier
12-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Oooops ... I posted this in the East of the Mississippi section before I realized that Florida had its own thread. Sorry.

I'm going to a meeting in Hollywood, Fl in late March 2011 and will have my afternoons free. I'd love to spend some time doing bird photography in the Great Cypress/Everglades. Can anyone recommend a photographer-friendly tour guide/charter boat who is reasonably priced and not out to fleece the tourist?

If the Glades by water is your preference, here's a link to a friend of mine who I use. You'll have to drive about 50 minutes from Hollywood to get to the docks;

http://www.evergladesareatours.com/

Capt. Chuck Wright is the guy, tell him I sent you.

Ian Cassell
12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Michael. When my plans are firmed up, I'll contact him. I'm planning to rent a car down there, so 50 minutes isn't too bad. I've only been to the glades once -- many many years ago before I was doing wildlife photography -- so suggestions are all welcome.

Michael Pancier
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks, Michael. When my plans are firmed up, I'll contact him. I'm planning to rent a car down there, so 50 minutes isn't too bad. I've only been to the glades once -- many many years ago before I was doing wildlife photography -- so suggestions are all welcome.

The 10K Islands Area and Western Glades is the place because its quite pristine and only accessible by water; so none of the tourists you'll expect to find at the main park entrances.

And while you're out there, pick up some stone crabs in Everglades City; their the freshest and cheaper than what they sell you at the restaurants on the east coast.

Ian Cassell
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
And while you're out there, pick up some stone crabs in Everglades City; their the freshest and cheaper than what they sell you at the restaurants on the east coast.

Yummy! :)

Thanks again. I'll need to pour over a map and get my bearings to see what you're talking about. My meeting gets out at about 12:30 every day (I'm there from March 19-23) which should give me plenty of driving time to get to interesting spots before the sun goes down.

Connie Mier
01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Yummy! :)

Thanks again. I'll need to pour over a map and get my bearings to see what you're talking about. My meeting gets out at about 12:30 every day (I'm there from March 19-23) which should give me plenty of driving time to get to interesting spots before the sun goes down.

Ian, it will take you about 1 1/2 hr to get to Everglades City and Chokoloskee Island (where Capt Wright launches his boats). In the afternoons, he offers a sunset tour. He can take you to one of the islands for photographing if you like. That would be your best bet. Unless you are willing to get into a kayak, you won't get up close with the birds from the mothership boat. However, they can take you to good areas where you can get into a kayak that they bring on the boat and access some pretty awesome places. The white pelicans may still be there and you could get to them with the help of the guides.

Also, Capt Wright can arrange a tour of Fakahatchee if you want to walk into some cypress swamps.

On your way to Everglades city on the Tamiami trail you can also stop at Shark Valley, good for photographing birds and gators.

The Big Cypress preserve is a huge area, you could hike into some of it from the Florida Trail. The visitor center on Tamiami is one starting point for that. The rangers there could assist you with that.

I also vouche for Capt Wright, a good friend of mine.
Connie

Ian Cassell
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Connie. Unfortunately, my trip was cancelled. I'm going to file this for future reference, though.