PDA

View Full Version : Green River Overlook

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
This was from my just completed trip to Arches/Canyonlands. The clouds were pretty impressive on this trip out......so spent the days chasing them. The green river overlook is in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands NP.
Canonn 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 25mm for 0.6 seconds at f22 and ISO 100. All tripod mounted and the Singh Ray 3 stop Grad ND filter and the Reverse Grad ND filter stacked.....HH in front of lens. Saved at 67 quality.

Nancy Bell
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Extraordinary! I usually hang out on OOTB and Avian, but Santa brought me a wide angle lens (I couldn't wait!) and so I have lots to learn here.

Robert Amoruso
12-21-2010, 08:27 PM
This is a beautiful image Roman. I especially like the layering with the different colors and the motion blur of the clouds.

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Roman, nice shot, love the clouds, well done!

Dave Mills
12-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi Roman, I agree about the motion blur adding an appealing softness to the sky. The different hues of purple and blue in the sky makes for a nice contrast with the rusty brown of the terrain. Nicely composed....

Jay Gould
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Roman, I think it is really cool and agree with all comments.

I think it needs a degree of CCW! If you put a straight edge, I always use a notepad edge, on the center peak objectively is leaning slight to the right.

The whole image simply has the itsy bitsy lean to me.

??

Jay Sheinfield
12-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Roman,

Love it..............great colors, lighting and mood to it. I really like how you placed the river gorge to the right in the frame..................

Norm Dulak
12-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Roman.

This is an impressive image. But what I like most is the placement of the canyon in the composition, and the way that the colors and the sharpness of the canyon and the other foreground elements contrast with the soft, cool clouds.

If the image were mine, I might cautiously try to brighten the warmer tones of the canyon/foreground a bit, thereby enhancing the contrast with the clouds. If you could make those elements glow a little, I think that the result might be even more impressive.

I've attached a repost image, in which I selected the elements I've mentioned and applied modest warmth and brightness adjustments using Viveza 2, to show you what I mean.
In any event, I like your op. :cheers:

Norm

Morkel Erasmus
12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Roman this is just pure eye candy! love the layers, scale and sense of isolation here...and awesome drama in the sky.

Norm's repost has actually improved it IMHO :)

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks All! It may noit have been that vivid Norm.....but I am definitely going in that direction for print!!!
Thanks again!

Jay Gould
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
-1.21 Rotation in LR3.

Do you see/feel a difference or am I nuts?

I do!

Interesting how my RP removed the vividness of the color.

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 10:39 PM
-1.21 Rotation in LR3.

Do you see/feel a difference or am I nuts?

I do!

Interesting how my RP removed the vividness of the color.

Not sure Jay! :p I had the bubble level in the hotshoe.....but I will look at it on a bigger monitor (i'm in Florida) tomorrow. The more times it gets saved and compressed....the more the colors do strange things!
In any case.....nuts or not:2eyes2:.....thanks for the feedback!

Jay Gould
12-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Level by the bubble; still doesn't feel right!

That raises an interesting question; perhaps for a thread all by itsellf - up to you Mr. Moderator.

If an image is technically level AND at the same time it looks better with a different level, do you change it?

Same question raised with Bob's image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?77045-Sunrise-East-Gator-Creek-Road-MINWR

???

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Level by the bubble; still doesn't feel right!

That raises an interesting question; perhaps for a thread all by itsellf - up to you Mr. Moderator.

If an image is technically level AND at the same time it looks better with a different level, do you change it?

Same question raised with Bob's image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?77045-Sunrise-East-Gator-Creek-Road-MINWR

???

Yes, I would probably change it.....but remember that everyone has a different take on that......very similar to colors or boldness. Walk into most galleries and the colors are usually like Norms repost.....which I happen to like! Some will walk in and say over saturated.....but who cares? the person buying and if they like it.....who cares?:D Some people don't mind when you severly tilt a horizon......I on the other hand often do......but I will still judge the image first...then get into the small stuff. This one may fall into the who cares realm.....but it is always good to point it out because they may have overlooked it and is always just a suggestion! Have a great day mate (learned that from you) and feel free to start the thread in general. You may want me to announce it here when you do!

Norm Dulak
12-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks All! It may noit have been that vivid Norm.....but I am definitely going in that direction for print!!!
Thanks again!

Thanks Roman.

There definitely is a tension between original images as we perceived them, and actions that could later be taken to make an image "better", to make it "pop"!

If you do decide to make an adjustment to the foreground and canyon, I am certain that you will use your considerable expertise to avoid going too far. :)

As for remarks that have been made concerning the horizon in this and the other thread mentioned above, I personally don't get too lathered up about it. In that regard, I see no problem with your op! The horizon looks fine to me.

Congratulations on another excellent image!

Norm

Jay Gould
12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I have started a thread in the General Photography Forum about leveling: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?77259-To-Level-Or-Not-To-Level-Does-one-degree-make-a-difference

Roger Clark
12-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Roman,
I agree with jay, The image needs rotation. I have many images from this area and I have worked in this area mapping, and the layers are quite horizontal, including the distant buttes. The rise on the left is, as you know, the flanks of distant Abajo mountains, so one would expect that portion of the image to be rising. But the layers in the canyons are quite horizontal in this view (as opposed to those at Green River Overlook, where the layers are curved from a giant salt dome deep down).

So I agree with Jay rotation, and I like Norm's rework. Combine the two are a nice image, although I find it a little flat. due to the cloudy day.

Roger

Andrew Aveley
12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
this is a really superb combination of everything that a open landscape of what i consider when reading about the usa !! Supoerb. Rotation is something that does look out from left to right :p

Jeffrey Sipress
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Roman,

Fabulous image!

I hate to be the only one to say this, but the colors in the clouds are wiggin' me out. The accurate and natural colors of the earth are great, but the variety of colors across the sky (clouds only, not that sweet blue at the horizon) don't seem right. Try desaturating the clouds a bit or simply remove some of the violet tint? Still, I love the scene.

Michael Lloyd
01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
The GND kind of clipped the mesa top and darkened it Roman. It has GND-itus

I need to go back and look at my shots from this area (multiple visits) but I'm almost sure there were no clouds. What the heck? Do you carry around "cloud in a can"? Or maybe a Native American Shaman to conjur clouds? Come on... fess up... :cheers: Happy New Year Roman

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The GND kind of clipped the mesa top and darkened it Roman. It has GND-itus

I need to go back and look at my shots from this area (multiple visits) but I'm almost sure there were no clouds. What the heck? Do you carry around "cloud in a can"? Or maybe a Native American Shaman to conjur clouds? Come on... fess up... :cheers: Happy New Year Roman

It was weird light for sure Michael!!! Yhat darker band was there.....and driving me nuts!!!......as for the cloud in a can or Native American Shaman.....more like this:
http://www.sportpost.com/video/view/Original+Pee+Wee+Herman+dance+that+Sedrick+Ellis+c opied+in+NFL