PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Moose

Michael Bertelsen
12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Found this guy on one of my last moose trips into the park.
He seemed to enjoy our company and even bedded down.
Hand held Nikon D300 & 70-200 f2.8
Your thoughts are welcome,

Michael Bertelsen

Robert Amoruso
12-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Hello Michael,

I like the colorful foliage colors around him. Good detail in the dark body.

I will suggest lowering the brightness of the top of the rack. Shadow/Highlights, selection and curves plus I am sure a few other ways.

I would have preferred to have his head not turned away from you.

Michael Bertelsen
12-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Robert,
I could not decide on which image to use, so here is the other one.
I do like the head tilt better on this one but the background does not do it for me as much.
I did tone down the overly bright anters but maybe not enough.

Your thoughts,

Michael

Robert Amoruso
12-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Miahael,

I think I like this one better. The bright tree in the BG is not in the second post - BG is more subdued here and less distracting.

The top of the rack has good a,punt of detail showing now - that looks good too.

Michael Bertelsen
12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks Robert,

The second post is the same moose but just that head tilt makes the antlers look much larger.

Michael

DanWalters
12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Very nice! Like the second post better with the extension of the neck. Nice color as well.

Rachel Hollander
12-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Michael - I think I would like the second shot better if the branches weren't across the face but not sure how you feel about those things. The detail on the antlers is great.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
lovely autumn colours here Michael! must say I also prefer your second post for the reasons mentioned! :)

Sid Garige
12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Second post for me Michael. Very nice closeups.

Hilary Hann
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Second post for me and it has a real Christmassy feel to it with the colours and the (almost) reindeer. The sort of image I'd use for Christmas cards if I could be bothered to send any out. :o

The fine branches across the face don't worry me much here as they are quite delicate in relation to the moose's face and aren't oof and blown such as we get so much in African scenes when the light just blasts everything. I just love the autumnal colours in the bg of the 2nd image which I find just beautiful.

Harshad Barve
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Second post for me Michael. Very nice closeups.

For me too , excellent image but I would love to see this in bigger size
TFS

Todd Frost
12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Agree with above, second image here as well. Ditto on larger post.
TFS
Todd

Steve Kaluski
12-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Yep, second post for me too.

I like the whole content of this one and the rich foliage in the BG. Good detail in the moose and this version also shows the rack off, better. I also agree with the point Hilary raised (great observation) regarding the branches over the face.

Michael, a larger version would do the image justice and we could then appreciate it more.:)

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Michael Bertelsen
12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Well put Hilary I knew there was a reason I left those branches there.:)
I guess the 2nd post is the winner by a landslide.
And next time I'll go to a bigger post for all those aging eyes out there.:cool:

Merry Christmas Friends,

Michael

Ed Cordes
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi Michael. I agree that the second one is better. The first doesn't show the wonderful grain in the antlers as well and the first seems to have a slight blue cast to it. In both cases I like the outstretched neck.