PDA

View Full Version : worked some more on the light rays,

Cheryl Flory
12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
but I don't know if it is an improvement.
Tried my best with Christopher's and Kerry's comments about making the rays brighter and adding more blur. But it just doesn't have "it". For one thing I think I added too much blur to the foreground.
first post is at
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?76470-Tried-Christopher-s-light-rays
Now what?

time to start a new image?? lol

Paul Lagasi
12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
This is quite nice...the trees with the colored vines make it pop, the light rays ain't bad either :). Got a bit of Orton effect to it...very well done

Christopher Miller
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Hi Cheryl, I've enjoyed seeing your progression on this image! :) I find these kind of images often requiring a lot of playing and adjusting before they're just right. This version definitely has a more moody feel which is great. I agree with your self critique on the blur; I would back it off a bit. I might also use curves to increase the contrast on the trees.

Cheryl Flory
12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Thank you, Paul and Christopher! I really appreciate your help.

denise ippolito
12-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Cheryl, Good advice already given and I like the way you haven't given up. I feel like it needs more of a glow or ethereal quality to it.:)

Cheryl Flory
12-20-2010, 09:27 PM
That's what is missing, Denise! I knew it was something, but couldn't put it into words. But my attempt to get that glow is what led me to use fract filter, and left the image too blurred. How do you get that ethereal glow??????

denise ippolito
12-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Cheryl, I tried several things and I have to say I'm not entirely happy with the results-sorry. I added a touch of Topaz Simplify Buzz and some non destructive dodge and burning to create more of a vignette and to help even out the light rays a bit. I think ity will take some more tweaks but I gotta go to bed-sorry.

Cheryl Flory
12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Yea, this process really makes me appreciate Christopher's work ever more! He describes his process as if it is simple. HA!! Don't believe it! lol. The man's got talent! One of many at this site with great skills!

I joined a local camera club, and I was one of a couple members who asked them to add this type of division in their photo competitions. they had their first judging of "OOTB" images last month. Their comment to the judges was something to the effect that if "Just a filter was added, then it doesn't really earn as many points as if a lot of work was done to the image". I wanted to scream! "Just adding a filter" isn't always as simple as clicking the button and having the program do all the work!

Christopher Miller
12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I like what Denise did. Could still use a little work, but it's definitely on the right track!

Thanks for the compliment, Cheryl. :) I find over time it becomes simpler, as you do more and more images and become acquainted with the process. Even still, each image requires a lot of individual tweaking to get it just right.

You're definitely right that there's so much more to creating a good image than "just adding a filter!" All the talent in this forum is proof of that!

Anita Bower
12-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Cheryl:

I prefer the original image. I would just add a curves adjustment to it to get more pop. But, that won't give you more blur, if that is what you wanted. Just my opinion.