PDA

View Full Version : Cyclamen 24

Anita Bower
12-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Winter is Cyclamen time for me--about the only flower to bloom in my coolish house.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f40, .60 sec., ISO 640 (I must have forgotten to lower it), tripod, indoors, natural light. PP: Helicon Focus from 6 images; PS7 basic adjustments, Topaz Denoise, small rotation, crop.

Are the magentas too much?

C & C always appreciated. :)

Aidan Briggs
12-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I love the white background here Anita!! The magentas look good to me. Though the tight crop lends the image an abstract image, I think I might have opted to see the whole flower. Just my opinion though.

Looking forward to more!!

Ken Childs
12-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi Anita, the magentas look good to me. You've got a good white BG but IMO, the flower is overall too dark. I also would like to see the entire flower....as it is now, there are too many petals that are being clipped or are touching the edge of the frame. I'm betting you have more shots of this flower so if you have one you like of the entire flower, please post it (in a new thread, of course :)).

Anita Bower
12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I appreciate the feedback. I intentionally cropped the image as it is. I don't think the crop is successful. I do want to crop my flower photos closer, so will keep trying. As to being too dark--that was a dilemma and I will work on it. :-)

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey Anita,
Colors look good on my end too.....and agree on the bit dark! These are not the easiest to photograph.....just remember that a rotation or different angle may do the trick. Nice to have these indoors to shoot!

Jerry van Dijk
12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Anita, in contrast with the others, I do like the tight crop, including the clipping of the petals. This is creative play with the flower to create a nice purple and white abstract! The 'flow' of the petals around the end of the stem, which is placed in the ROT hotspot gives a great composition. To add to the abstract feeling, you may want to consider to crop even a little bit tighter (then there is no doubt that you did it intentional) and you may even want to push the colors a bit further. I would especially try to get rid of the white triangle the LL petal leaves in the corner.

Dave Leroy
12-22-2010, 06:54 PM
An interesting looking photo Anita and always good to try a different look.

For me, I feel the centre of the flower is a bit too centred and i could go either way on a crop or rotation to move it a bit one way or the other.

I do like the look of the nice curved petal covering the middle of the photo.

Dave

Anita Bower
12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Thank you all, especially Jerry for encouraging me to crop even tighter. :-)

Here is a tighter crop, rotated a bit more, lightened some. I think the petals need to be sharper for this to work, so we shall view it as a work in progress.

As always, I benefit so very much from the critiques.

Jerry van Dijk
12-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Anita,

I like the tighter crop, although I do feel that the nice balance between purple and white in the original is a bit lost here. But again, I like this idea very much!

Anita Bower
12-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Anita,

I like the tighter crop, although I do feel that the nice balance between purple and white in the original is a bit lost here. But again, I like this idea very much!

Thank you so much.

Norm Dulak
12-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Anita,

I'm afraid I disagree here. I'd much rather see the whole flower. But the color is spectacular. :)