PDA

View Full Version : Banded Martin approach

Stu Bowie
12-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Driving through the nature reserve close to my house yesterday morning, I noticed this Banded Martin, take off and land on this small thorny shrub. I decided to time an approach shot, and this is what I came away with.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1600
F/6.3
ISO 500

Exp Comp +0.67
Hand held from the car.

Gary Hamilton
12-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Excellent capture. Nice bit of blur in the wings to show motion, sharp body, nice catchlight and creamy BG--I think you nailed it! I would have liked to have seen a slight turn of its head toward us but that is just nitpicking--the bird was obviously trying to concentrate on a tricky landing. It almost looks like it is headed for an accupuncture treatment! :p

Nick Palmieri
12-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Great capture. Nice BG. The slight wing blur does not bother me. Looks like that one thorn is going to go right through him.

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
just enough blur for my tastes and lovely exposure Stu! aren't you in the Cape this year?

Stu Bowie
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
just enough blur for my tastes and lovely exposure Stu! aren't you in the Cape this year?

Thanks Mork. Unfortunately not. Decided to stay at home for a change.:)

Gary, Nick, thanks guys.

Pieter de Waal
12-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi Stuart, Nicely timed image with great eye contact and lovely defenition in the near wing and white feathers. Lovely background.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Wonderful image. Pose and action are very nicely captured with plenty of detail in the whites, great sharpness on the head and body with the blur of the far wing accentuating the action, and a lovely perch and background. The head angle doesn't bother me too much but if the head and far wing would not overlap this image could be over the top.

JR

Craig Brelsford
12-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Another storytelling shot, Stu. Your wing blur suggests the speed at which the martin is moving. The thorn just about poking him shows that even at that speed the bird knew how to get to his perch safely. The precision with which most birds fly never ceases to amaze me.

Stu Bowie
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank you all for the feedback and comments. Always appreciated.