PDA

View Full Version : hurricane rose

Gary Hamilton
12-19-2010, 07:22 AM
This image was taken on slide film back in the day. Canon 7E, 300 f4 with close up attachment.

All c/c welcome

Stu Bowie
12-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Hi Gary, striking colour on the rose, and I like the lines of curves.

Ken Childs
12-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey Gary, I really like the swirling patterns on opening roses and you did a good job of photographing this one! Some of the petal edges look a little odd but that just may have been caused by the scan from slide to digital. I'd like to see the center of the flower a little further from the center of the frame so you might want to crop a little from the left and maybe also take a small slice from the bottom.

Steve Maxson
12-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Gary. I think I'm having a RED overload. :cool: I like the pattern of the spiraling petals and the shooting angle that is almost looking straight down the spiral, though I would agree with Ken about trying to get the flower center further from the center of the frame. Overall, this is a pleasing image, but I don't think this slide scan has quite the same IQ as a digital original would have. (One of the reasons I switched to digital a number of years back. :) )

Gary Hamilton
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree, between scanning the slide and then reducing the image to BPN size, the IQ did suffer a bit. Here is a repost re-cropped as suggested. Thanks for your help.

Anita Bower
12-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Good comments above. The swirls are lovely, as are the edges of the petals. Red is a challenging color to photograph. I'm struggling with it myself in current posts. I tried cropping the right and bottom, because I like the petal details on the left. Just another option.

Gary Hamilton
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Anita: I like your re-post as well--I had not considered cropping it that way because I like the big areas of negative space on the right. Thanks for you help in seeing it another way.

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Gary,
Been really busy....so late tot he party! I'm going to give you another take on a crop (i was leaning with Anita's version originally)......just from the bottom.....1/2 way up the triangle in the LRC. Takes it far enough off center IMO yet leaves the swirls I love so much. You may want to tame the reds of your OP a touch.....but not bad considering it is a scan! Just another option for you to explore.

Anita Bower
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=Roman Kurywczak;611003
You may want to tame the reds of your OP a touch.....[/QUOTE]

How does one tame the reds?

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
How does one tame the reds?
good question Anita!!! There are a few ways......sometimes, no one works best.....but perhaps a combo. Here are a few options......in no particular preference order; Color balance.....add cyan (works for other colors too......so think color wheel)....or maybe even blue to the yellow. Heck.....eveen adding a bit of green to magenta may also work.

Selective color....red channel....remove black, or add yellow, or add cyan. Combos may work.....so play with the sliders. Same goes for the yellow or magenta channel in selective color. Used in combination with color balance works very well most of the time.

Last option that I can think of....just go inot the reds in hue saturation.....pull them back and gently tweak the hue. These combinations work in 99% of the cases.

Still having issues????.....may actually be where you started! Every time you do a layer....curves, levels, or B/C....adds contrast to the red channel....boosting it. Be very aware of this when working an image....especially one with a ton of red in it!

Hope this makes sense....and don't forget the old artist trick....to tame a color.....add the contrasting color! While it is a touch different in PS than on an actual artist color wheel......it should give you a good idea or starting point!

Hope this helps!!!

Anita Bower
12-22-2010, 05:53 AM
good question Anita!!! There are a few ways......sometimes, no one works best.....but perhaps a combo. Here are a few options......in no particular preference order; Color balance.....add cyan (works for other colors too......so think color wheel)....or maybe even blue to the yellow. Heck.....eveen adding a bit of green to magenta may also work.

Selective color....red channel....remove black, or add yellow, or add cyan. Combos may work.....so play with the sliders. Same goes for the yellow or magenta channel in selective color. Used in combination with color balance works very well most of the time.

Last option that I can think of....just go inot the reds in hue saturation.....pull them back and gently tweak the hue. These combinations work in 99% of the cases.

Still having issues????.....may actually be where you started! Every time you do a layer....curves, levels, or B/C....adds contrast to the red channel....boosting it. Be very aware of this when working an image....especially one with a ton of red in it!

Hope this makes sense....and don't forget the old artist trick....to tame a color.....add the contrasting color! While it is a touch different in PS than on an actual artist color wheel......it should give you a good idea or starting point!

Hope this helps!!!

Roman:

Thanks! I should have been able to figure this out myself as it is all logical. :o I appreciate your spelling it out for me. The one bit of info I would not have thought of is that each adjustment layer adds contrast to the red.

Many thanks!!
Anita:)

Gary Hamilton
12-23-2010, 06:48 AM
This is cropped as per Roman's suggestion. I also reduced the hue and saturation of the reds to tone them down. Thanks for all of the tips.

Anita Bower
12-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Gary: I think you have improved your image. Good job.

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey Gary,
Not on my laptop or computer (down for a visit in Florida).....so won't comment on the colors from this location because all image colors look off.....but the crop workls for me ....so I hope you like it too!