PDA

View Full Version : Eagle on a mission

Duane Noblick
12-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Canon 7D, 500mm f/4L, 1/1250" @ f/4, ISO 400.

Adult female as she brought another stick back to their ever growing nest. That is not a processing halo around her...I was fighting hit and miss sunshine and a thin layer of clouds as weather system moved out. Rotated 10 degrees clockwise and had to push the recovery slider to 100% on most of the images from this day.

Dumay de Boulle
12-19-2010, 06:37 AM
These birds look like they are made out of wax...I like the detail and exposure..Underneath not ideal but it will do till the next one!

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
love these birds, same family as our African Fish Eagle. lovely pose and exposure here, I would probably sharpen the head some more?

Joerg Rockenberger
12-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice pose and exposure - though it may benefit from being a bit lighter. Agree with more sharpening. But more importantly I see a pretty huge halo(?) on the back of the bird. Halo may not be the right word as it has a well defined edge to the background and extends from roughly the bird's eye to not quite before teh end of the tail feathers...

JR

Duane Noblick
12-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Thank you everyone. The sharpness looks fine for my taste..although I did back off on my sharpening filter as of late and I'm now resizing the images for web display differently because I kept seeing halos around the subject.

JR...are you sure you're not seeing the thin white clouds behind the Eagle? Like I stated...I was dealing with filtered light and a thin layer of marine clouds and they blew out during the initial capture. Here is a screen capture of the RAW file untouched in ACR with the highlight warning enabled.

I appreciate the input I receive. I have a lot of limitations photographing this pair of Eagles (shooting distance, time of day (the place they nest is only open 9-5), shooting angle and the area is heavily wooded for the most part)

Mark Young
12-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Awesome BIF and PP work to recover the whites.