PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eve

Bill Randall
12-18-2010, 07:36 PM
A recent conversion. 70mm, f4.5, 1/500, iso= 200

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Bill,

What is the processing here? Perhaps conversion to B&W and then these of a filter to tone?

The placement of the cactus is key here and I like that it was placed at the right side of the downslope of the BG mountain.

I also like the the FG and BG slope right to the cactus - leads the eye to the cactus.

Bill Randall
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
The process was called Cyanotype when we were using darkroom techniques. Now if is faux Cyanotype.

Dave Mills
12-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Bill, the cyanotype is an interesting tone and seems to work with the subject matter. Agree with Robert on the cactus placement however if this were mine I might crop the left side to where the far left mountain is at it's lowest point. This still gives more than ample room on the left and highlights more of the cactus...

Bill Randall
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
I see your point Dave. It is another possibilty for this image. I'll try it and see which I like best.

David Stephens
12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
I like the composition and placement of the cactus. OTOH, the tint seems unnatural to me. I would probably prefer it in B&W or full color.

Bill Randall
12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
I found this tone to suit the mood I experienced when making the image. I like b and w also, but sometimes I find that other tones fit the mood I am trying to recreate. Also I enjoy experimenting and getting the reaction of others such as yourself. Appreciate your comments. Thank you.

David Stephens
12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes, I understand. To explore my "dislike" further, I don't see it as natural for a desert scene. It's kind of greenish-blue, when I'd chose more of a sepia for the desert. Obviously, a personal choice, but now you understand my basis for my comment.

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Hey Bill,
I agree with the points made above on the comp. I am torn on the cyanotype......while the color does give a mood.......I still like my consversions to have more tonal range and contrast. It could also be the color......but in this case it is probably my preference for the bolder tonal range. Just another idea to try out when PP'ing.

Jay Gould
12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree with Mr. Stephens ( as distinguished from Mr. Mills), I would like it either in full color, B&W, or perhaps sepia.