PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-17-2008, 04:00 AM
I have just ordered a Canon 500mm f4 IS lens. I appreciate that most users in the USA seem to use Gitzo tripods. Currently I have a Manfrotto 055CLB and a Benbo Mk1. I have two questions please:
Does anyone have any experience using these tripods and do they think they would be suitable for use with the 500mm lens?
I am also of the impression that most 500mm users also use Wimberly or Mongoose heads. I have read that the Manfotto 393/3421 is also very good and is just a fraction of the price. Does any one have any comments please.

Thank you

Jon

Steve Ashton
03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Jon,

Possible not what you want to hear but I think you will need a heavy tripod to replace the 055. I use the 1548 Gitzo which has now been replaced. Look at the 6x series they are superb. My head of choice is either the wimberly side kick or the full wimberly head. I tried the 393 and found it to be not very well made. As for ball heads the RRS large model is great as is the Kirk BH1 which works great with the side kick.

If starting from scratch I would follow Arties andvice anf go with the Gitzo Mongoose combination. Sad fact of life but when going onto the big lenses you NEED to factor in the cost from day 1. i tried loads of option in an attempt to save money in the end it was all wasted. just do it right from the start. You have some special glass with the 500 and it deserves the right support. The other thing is to get yourself a good beanbag they are a godsend!!!!

Enjoy your new tools

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks very much for the adice, - much appreciated, I was half expecting what you said. I guess will have to get the real stuff. Oh the good news is I have the bean bag already.
Jon