PDA

View Full Version : Bue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)

Humberto Ramos
12-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Canon EOS 7D
Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 ED USM + sigma 1.4x TC
1/320
f/6.3
420 mm
4 flash's 1/16 (2 left, 1 right, 1 front)
MeteringMode Center-Weighted Average

Colin Driscoll
12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
You must have been confident of getting the bird on that perch to set up 4 flashes. Nicely balanced light but the bird position could be a little better, particularly if this is a setup.

Sid Garige
12-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Excellent light control Humberto. Great background, pose and perch. Would love to see if you have another image with subject more parallel to sensor plane.

Greg Basco
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Humberto, really nice flash work. I too employ multiple off-camera flashes combined with ambient light for songbird/fruit-eating bird setups and find it opens up lots of possibilities, particularly when the light is less than ideal. What was you reasoning here for using the flashes rather than working with just natural light? Just curious, and I'm sure others would be as well.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Humberto Ramos
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Humberto, really nice flash work. I too employ multiple off-camera flashes combined with ambient light for songbird/fruit-eating bird setups and find it opens up lots of possibilities, particularly when the light is less than ideal. What was you reasoning here for using the flashes rather than working with just natural light? Just curious, and I'm sure others would be as well.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

The day was very cloudy, I had almost no light...

Humberto Ramos
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Excellent light control Humberto. Great background, pose and perch. Would love to see if you have another image with subject more parallel to sensor plane.

Yes Sid, I have this one... Do you thing the bird position is better?

Jeff Dyck
12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Wonderful shots Humberto - I love the perch and love the background. I think the original shot is great but I really prefer the second shot posted. Well done!

Stu Bowie
12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Humberto, good flash work, and I like the interesting perch and BG. Comp wise, I would maybe take a lot off the left to maybe the edge of the greenery, and add to the right for the little guy to look into, as he's facing right.

OvidiuCavasdan
12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Cute little bird, I like the perch and very nice BG. Good work with flash setup. Not easy to get a perfect pose with these little guys as they dont stay still for a moment.

Greg Basco
12-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Humberto. That's exactly one of the reasons I use it here in Costa Rica too. Great job again on the flash!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Daniel Cadieux
12-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I actually like the comp on the first - everything is nicely balanced and smooth-flowing. The one thing I don't like on both versions is the bit of wood covering the leg. Well done!

Humberto Ramos
12-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I actually like the comp on the first - everything is nicely balanced and smooth-flowing. The one thing I don't like on both versions is the bit of wood covering the leg. Well done!

I agree with you Daniel...