PDA

View Full Version : Barnegat Purple Sandpiper

Paul Lagasi
12-18-2010, 07:55 AM
From a recent trip to Barnegat Light...at least 20+ Sandpipers that day but due to low tide, getting a low angle from the jetty was pretty tough. This was one of the better ones, where it was sitting up on a rock, feeding.
Heavy crop. Lovely bird. You can see the faint purple, where it gets its name from.
Masked and added gussian blur to background.
Thanks for looking

D700
500mm f4
iso-500
1/640
f/6.3
handheld
AP

Bill Dix
12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice one, Paul. Lovely background, nice pose and HA, and I like the shell pile. Shows his signature yellow legs nicely; too bad about the feet. The bird seems just a bit soft on my screen, probably due to the heavy crop.

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I like the hint of purple showing on the feathers...very neat. I like the overall pose too, but I wish this guy would have perched higher to see the feet too. I'd see if you could reduce some of the highlights on the shells. Quite nice overall.

Paul Lagasi
12-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks Bill and Dan
Bill..checked the image at home, your bang on, large original is much better than BPN size..I'll probably rework this, so its not such a heavy crop

Dan....Its the first time I've gotten and image that shows the color, when I rework this I'll tone down the shells..

denise ippolito
12-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Paul, I like the pose and the background. The shells really make this special to me. The hint of purple is always a nice touch. I agree w/ toning down the highlights. Nicely done.:)