PDA

View Full Version : Tiger

Ian Cassell
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm almost embarassed to post this after viewing Harshad's spectacular wild tiger images.

This guy is captive at the Phoenix Zoo

Canon 7D
Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX @ 263mm
1/640sec f/7.1 ISO 1600 HH

Crop and S/H in CS5
Sharpening in GF6/CS5
NR on BG in Noiseware Pro

Julie Kenward
12-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Ian, just remember that Harshad had to start somewhere... :)

I like the overall comp and the angle of the tiger. I think the grass is a bit too saturated or bright - and, because of that, I feel it's competing with the tiger a bit. You don't want to take the grass to where it looks flat but I'd either tone down the green or add a light vignette around the edges to pull the viewer's attention to the face of the tiger. I'd also look at sharpening the eye a little bit more.

Hey, Ian, at least you didn't have to worry about being the tiger's lunch when you took this one...

Ian Cassell
12-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey, Ian, at least you didn't have to worry about being the tiger's lunch when you took this one...

Thanks, Jules. You make a very good point :) (although I would dearly love to see one in the wild)

I see what you mean about the green. The color is correct, but it is overpowering. I'll try toning it down a bit (and sharpen the eye while I'm at it.). I've never used the vignette approach, so I'll give that a go too.

Sid Garige
12-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Ian,

Nice image. From your settings
Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX @ 263mm
1/640sec f/7.1 ISO 1600 HH

You used ISO 1600 and F7.1. Generally it is a good practice to keep your iso as low as possible for better image quality. Image like this I would have opted to shoot wide open at F4 and pulled down my iso to atleast 800. Iso 800 and F4 would have kept your shutter speed high enough for hand holding.

Photographing subjects in captivity has it own challenges and rewards. Tight closeup portraits are possible in captivity and almost impossible in the wild. If we can deal with nicely trimmed grass, chain link fence and iron bars etc... we can still walk out with nice images. May be next time wait for a nice ye contact and good light.

-Sid

Ian Cassell
12-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for commenting, Sid. Unfortunately, this lens is pretty soft wide-open, so I avoid f/4, although your points are well taken.

Harshad Barve
12-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Excellent pose by Tiger here Ian , Looks like a young male , great advise above too

I'm almost embarrassed to post this after viewing Harshad's spectacular wild tiger images.

Why you should :confused: , this is good image which can be improved with great advise above

Ian, just remember that Harshad had to start somewhere... :)

Very well said Julie ,
keep them posting & TFS