PDA

View Full Version : Trillium and Ferns - Allegheny National Forest

Janet Heintz
12-17-2010, 12:43 PM
My husband and I were driving through the Allegheny National Forest when this little red trillium caught my eye. I made him back up and I climbed up the side of a hill to get this little gem.
I didn't lighten the image too much because this is how it looked to me in the dense forest.
Comments Always Welcome and Appreciated
Thanks Janet

Julie Kenward
12-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Janet, this is lovely! Nice lighting - it's got a real transparent quality to it. I like your choice of pano crop but the bright white area on the left and the heavy tree on the right are both pulling my eye from the star of the show. If you could tone both down I think this would be a truly unique image. If not, I'd crop in tight and get rid of both sides along with that little OOF area at the bottom.

Steve Maxson
12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Janet. Please include the specs of how you made this image as that will help us make more meaningful comments. :) I like the low shooting angle, the lighting, the sharpness of the flower and the DOF that puts the background OOF while still revealing the environment in which the flower was found. I also like the idea of the pano crop, but, like Jules, I find that the OOF white trillium is pulling my eye. Jules' repost is a nice alternate comp. Overall, this is well done.

Ken Childs
12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
This is a cool find....and nicely spotted, too! :)
I agree with Jules on the tighter crop and I also think the light in this is really nice. Even though it looks great as is, I'd like to see what it looks like with a barely noticeable lightening of the shadows. Well done!

Stu Bowie
12-20-2010, 03:40 AM
I would leave your OP, but maybe blend away the white trillium on the left, if you are ok with doing that. I like the perspective.

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey Janet,
Very rarely do I not want a crop.....but in this case that is exactly the case! The perspective here is killer and very unique!!!........toning the 2 areas Jules mentioned will put this over the top!

Janet Heintz
12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for all the comments, I just couldn't bring myself to crop this image I really liked the moss on the right side and all the little ferns going on to the left. I cloned out the bright flower and the tree trunk as best I could. I really don't like doing that but it did make a difference for the better. Guess it's all in personal preference.
Thanks for broadening my horizons.
Merry Christmas!
Janet

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Janet,
Great job with the suggestions!!!

I too don't like removal in PP'ing if I can avoid it......but remember that the print masters of old had all sorts of trick in the darkroom too......so as long as you disclose it.....works for me!

I would still consider eliminating the bottom OOF greenery on the bottom of frame with a crop....but the digital clean up will work there too!