PDA

View Full Version : Practice makes Perfect

Steve Kaluski
12-17-2010, 11:13 AM
With Mum in the BG (not visible) this young Spring cub with his sister (again not visible) began to put into practice what Mum (Mom) had shown them to good effect. Occasionally catching a salmon, but then having no clue what to do with it.:) These two gave a good couple of hours of fun, half of which was just to sit and watch, considering we were only 8-10ft away from them.

Steve
MKIII 300f/2.8 wit 1.4x 1/2000sec f/5.6 ISO400 (HH, slight crop)

Curves, Levels, Saturation minor USM

Todd Frost
12-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Another very nice image from your trip. You certainly had better light here than I had @ Hyder. Love the intense pose on the little guy. Techs and sharpness are spot on. Glad to see you had a productive trip. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Rachel Hollander
12-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Steve - Absolutely love this. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Shreyas Mantri
12-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Beautiful, beautiful shot! Got to love the expression and the "clown-face" with the blood on the snout...love the sharpness too; one can see the salmon egg falling off from his last bite!
Thanks
Shreyas

Steve Kaluski
12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
one can see the salmon egg falling off from his last bite!

Hi Shreyas, if I can and remember too, you might like a shot that I will post in just over a weeks time :D

Rachel, I might have been tempted to bring this little one back, but think he might out grow the house and the cost of fish, well...

Austin Thomas
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Great pose and great colours Steve.

Well controlled depth of field as well.

If you could have grown just a few cms to move the light band away from the top of the head a bit more, I think that might have improved it further.

Cheers

Austin

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I like the blood on the nose. My preference would have been not to have the top of head and shoreline merging.

Marc Mol
12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Shoreline nit aside, this is a splendid action scene in magic light Steve. The detail and pose are first class.
TFS

Steve Canuel
12-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Another beauty Steve. I really like the look of the water, the blood on the nose, and the claws turning in on the splashing water.

Danny J Brown
12-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Super image, Steve.....all said above but I have to repeat.....love the blood on the nose and look on face that says it is intent on catching something.

DB

Harshad Barve
12-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Yet another striking image Steve , absolute beauty
TFS

Hilary Hann
12-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm late to the party and everything has been said. Will add that I love the expression in this cub's face and the wonderful detail in the water. Your pov has worked here and the dof really isolates the action from the distractions. As others have said, the shoreline is a minor irritation.

Grant Atkinson
12-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Hi Steve, well it has all been said already, but fact is another great shot of a bear in action, in good light. Well captured
cheers
Grant

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2010, 03:08 AM
My preference would have been not to have the top of head and shoreline merging.

No excuse for that, I guess I was so preoccupied about tracking, focusing and trying not to lose the shot, I neglected to look at other areas, needed to be lying on the ground rather than kneeling. :)

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Steve

DanWalters
12-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Awesome!! Great action with the splash and the paw out of the water. Really like the bood on the nose as well.

Tom Redd
12-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Wonderful shot Steve. I am sure you have stated this previously in another thread/post, but is this Lake Clark? McNeil River Falls? As for laying on the ground instead of kneeling - 8 feet away? I say kneel. :)

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Tom, not sure where the location is that you were referring to, but it doesn't ring a bell. Sadly I have no reference to where this was taken as we spent some time chugging along the coastline, visiting various many bays & inlets. I think we were not to far away from Geographic Bay if that helps for this one.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2010, 03:40 PM
great story, POV and IQ here Steve...DOF works a charm...

Hendri Venter
12-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Very good action and the angle is great. Also like the bloody nose. All in all an outstanding image.

Myer Bornstein
12-20-2010, 08:01 AM
a very nice image