PDA

View Full Version : Frost

Steve Maxson
12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I thought I'd post something seasonal. (Well, at least seasonal where I live :) ) When the temperatures go below zero (It was -22 F a few days ago), the windows in my unheated sunroom become covered with beautiful frost crystals in virtually infinite patterns. This image is a tiny example. 5D m2, MP-E 65mm at 3-4X, 3.2 sec, f/10, ISO 100, tripod, mirror lock, cable release. Raw file processed in CS5, curves and a little NR. I increased contrast to darken the background and cleaned up some miscellaneous dust specs on the glass. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Ken Childs
12-17-2010, 08:09 AM
This is awesome, Steve! It's one of those shots that's so clear, it almost doesn't look real! You might consider toning down the highlights 1 small notch.

Adding color filters to this type of shot can yield some great results so keep shooting and post one or 2 in the OOTB forum. :)

Dave Woeller
12-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I like the crop and flow of the image. Amazingly sharp and feels cold just looking at it. Kens' suggestion for color filters sounds interesting and should yield many different looks.

Steve Adkins
12-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Steve,
Greetings from a little further North in Roseau. :)
Very nice graphic quality and good use of negative space. Neat pure image!

Julie Kenward
12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Darn it, Steve! Darn, darn, darn! If you don't quit making me want this lens so help me....

Thomas Herou
12-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Beautiful!!
Almost from another planet made of metal!

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Steve,
I've always wondered how that happens......looking to recreate it myself!:2eyes2:.......so I can play with these ice crystal images myself! Love the way the edges look with that lens and light combo!!!!

Susan Candelario
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi Steve,
Very cool image!!! Really like the contrast and the details and sharpness are wonderful.
~Susan