PDA

View Full Version : Gull Portrait

Dave Leroy
12-15-2010, 11:04 PM
This was taken a few weeks ago on a cool overcast day. I liked the bg.

50D, 500mm, 1/800, f/4, Av +2, ISO400.

In hindsight I probably could have had another stop or two of dof.

The birds were moving around a bit so played it safe.

Dave

Craig Wallace
12-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Nice image, I love the sharp detail of the eye and eye-ring, exposure looks good keeping the detail in the white feathers. The eye is striking.
Craig

Ben_Sadd
12-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Great details showing here. I would wish for a background that contrasts slightly more with the bird, but with the current one I would try and tone down the bright spots a little.

Paul Guris
12-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd try adding a little contrast and maybe dropping the highlights. It might make the bird blend into the background a little less.

Julie Kenward
12-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Dave, I agree with the others that the bird does blend in with the BG quite a bit but...that's not always a bad thing. I kind of like it here as it really sets a mood. I would encourage you to try to darken the BG a bit and see what you think, though.

Since the body of the bird isn't quite as sharp as the head/eye area I'd recrop and get that beautiful red eye into a ROT"s position something like what I have here. It also alleviates the brighter area directly behind the bird's head at the same time. :)

Dave Leroy
12-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Jules I may play with the crop idea a bit. My preference might be for a bit less of a crop that the repost.

Dave

Julie Kenward
12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Not a problem...sometimes it just helps to have that other set of eyes to get you thinking...

Do what works for you, Dave!

Dave Leroy
12-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Extra eyes are always helpful Jules and thanks again.

Here is another view.

Dave

Julie Kenward
12-17-2010, 05:33 PM
That's beautiful, Dave! Look at all the details in the eye and beak! You really brought out the best of that bird.