PDA

View Full Version : Battered Boat

Tim Munsey
12-15-2010, 03:18 AM
A wreck from the west coast of Ireland, I've tried to bring out the weathering using
tonal contrast.

Tim
D3, 14-24mm nikkor at F/8 aperture priority, ISO 200

Jay Sheinfield
12-15-2010, 05:35 AM
You gotta love that lens! This is a beauty. Great detail and all that, but this screams mood, like where has this boat been and what stories does it have to tell.................clouds are wonderful and beautiful tonal/lighting work.

Dave Mills
12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Tim, Well handled image with good use of tonal contrast(I like that filter when it's used well) The image almost appears vignetted which makes the boat pop. Love the detail along with the angry sky. A perfect candidate for B&W..Nice one!!

Nick Palmieri
12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Really nice one here. I love the textures in the boat, and the sky is cool. The composition really works. TFS

ken dyball
12-16-2010, 02:07 AM
This is a ripper image, love the clouds just above the rear of the boat, well done

www.africanatureimages.com

Randy Stout
12-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Tim:

This is a knockout image. Perfect image to convert to B&W. Love the tonal range you captured/created.

It makes me think about the story behind the boat, what it did, who sailed it, etc. Could be an opening still for a movie centered around the boat.

I love thought provoking images!

Cheers

Randy

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey Tim,
Love it, love it, love it! We could debate more tonal range tweaks ......but why? This one is outstanding!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tim Munsey
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
So you like it then :p Hey thanks all for comments

Tim

Andrew McLachlan
12-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Tim, ditto on all the comments previously mentioned. Excellent use of Tonal Contrast. I have no suggestions - it is perfect! :cheers:

Christopher Miller
12-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Excellent image, Tim!!! :) Awesome lighting, details,...and everything! Well done!

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Tim, Stellar image for all the reasons mention. The power in this image is due to the use of B&W and good technique processing it to reveal the full dynamic range of the image.

What do you mean when you say "tonal contrast". Dave mentioned a filter. Was a filter used on camera, in processing? Thanks.

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Tim, Stellar image for all the reasons mention. The power in this image is due to the use of B&W and good technique processing it to reveal the full dynamic range of the image.

What do you mean when you say "tonal contrast". Dave mentioned a filter. Was a filter used on camera, in processing? Thanks.

Dave Mills
12-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi Robert, Tonal Contrast is a Nik filter. When used properly(and not overdone)it has a tendancy to pop detail. I use it at times if I want that effect...but not with a heavy hand..

Colin Driscoll
12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow! Excellent image.

Bill Randall
12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerful, I'll say!

Bill Jobes
12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
That's a striking image, Tim !

Please tell us a bit more about how you created it.

Did you use flash ? I ask, as the boat appears to be back-lit by the sun, yet the front-facing side and the deck appear to also be lit.

Or is this seeming dodge-and-burn technique a feature of NIK's Tonal Contrast ?

Tim Munsey
12-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Bill,
No fill flash, just heavy processing using the very flexible Nik filters on a subject that took it very well.
What caught my eye was how the natural grass has the appearance of waves, so the boats looks at sea onland.
Can't wait to do a large print, think it will look fantastic.

Tim

Bill Jobes
12-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Well, you did a fantastic job using the software to maximum advantage! It will indeed make a fabulous large print!

Thanks, Tim, for the inspiration to do more with monochrome, and to check out the Nik filters.

Jay Gould
12-19-2010, 05:13 AM
An amazing image. I'll bet it is even good enough for a IOTW nomination :cheers:.

A very large print!