PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Rock Surface

Jay Gould
12-15-2010, 12:46 AM
In Death Valley, when we were walking through one of the canyons the walls had such wonderful lines that I grabbed this almost on the run. The RAW is really blah; I did all processing in LR3, then over to CS5 for some clean-up and Topaz InFocus. I played with it with some of the programs to create some really weird patterns; I might post one in the OOTB to get some reaction.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 14 Oct 09; 4pm
Light condition: Bright and sunny
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 90
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/30 sec
Aperture: f/9
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR color intensifier
Crop: none
Images Changes: Removed some cracks in the surface

Processed in LR 3 and CS5 -
InFocus,
and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Leroy
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Nicely done and good for you to see it on the run.

I like the nice diagonals and cool colours.

I might crop just a tad off the top to lose the white bit on tlc or even more.

When I slide photo around on my monitor taking a bit off the top and getting gold strip more in rot seems to accentuate that part of photo more.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Jay, the diagonal stripes and the colors you ended up look wonderful! Dave's suggested crop is definitely something to explore. I'm having a problem with the lighter areas because they look soft....almost like blurred falling snow. I think this may be an optical illusion and that they can't be made to look sharp. I know you said the original raw looked blah but do you see this softmess in the original?

This has lots of possibilities for OOTB editing. :D

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey Jay,
Nice to see you in the macro forum! I too like the colors and lines. I do think the whitish areas Ken mentioned are due to DOF with that lens......unless you were very parallel to the plane! As is though.....I still think this works nicely....just try toning down the whitish areas before exploring the crop!

Steve Maxson
12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi Jay. This is a cool image! I like the diagonal rock texture and all the colors. You have some interesting suggestions above to explore. :) Keep the macro shots coming!

Julie Kenward
12-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Very nice abstract, Jay. I like the original crop...I'd just clone over the white area with one a little more in focus and call it done. Beautiful blues in this...really nice!

Stu Bowie
12-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Jay, I like the diagonal lines, and the blues and browns go well together. Well spotted on the run.:)

Jay Gould
12-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Very nice abstract, Jay. I like the original crop...I'd just clone over the white area with one a little more in focus and call it done. Beautiful blues in this...really nice!

First, I have no hangups with changing the image in any manner with disclosure.

Now, I do not understand what you are suggesting. Please provide more detail so I can make the attempt. :o

Anita Bower
12-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Lovely colors and nice diagonals. It might make a good texture to use with another image.