PDA

View Full Version : OOTB Most Memorable Images for 2010

denise ippolito
12-14-2010, 10:50 PM
This sticky post is for everyone to post their most memorable image from the year (please one post per person) Last year we started this on December 24th. I thought it would be nice to start this year a little earlier to give everyone a chance to post theirs. Here is the link (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?52994)from last years images that were posted if anyone would like to see them.

Kerry Perkins
12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks Denise! I only had to think for a minute to decide which one I wanted to post. I think this one was my best for 2010. :)

Paul Lagasi
12-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Had to think a bit...there been some good ones this year, and some I thought were good but didn't get much in the way of response...I looked over my BPN images, one of my favourites was a Macro Image of a Tiger Beetle, but my OOTB favourite came down to 2 images.....the GG Owl or the Phainopepla....I chose...

Harshad Barve
12-15-2010, 04:13 AM
This is mine from 2010 postings :)

denise ippolito
12-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Kerry, Yep my absolute favorite of yours!!
Paul, Fantastic! I remember this one I love it!
Harshad, Excellent image! Love the tongue!

denise ippolito
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM
This image will always be very special to me for a lot of reasons....

Judy Howle
12-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Hard to choose but I think this is my favorite.

Judy Howle
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks Denise! I only had to think for a minute to decide which one I wanted to post. I think this one was my best for 2010. :)
I can see why, it's magnificent!!

Judy Howle
12-15-2010, 05:14 PM

It is very special and one of the nicest fractals I've seen!

Indranil Sircar
12-15-2010, 07:03 PM
This has been a fractalius year for me! and this one is my absolute favorite...

Christopher Miller
12-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Some great images posted! :)

I've had so many memorable images this year it was hard to pick just one, but I finally decided on this one which is one of my favorites from the Civil War reenactment that I went to back in October.

denise ippolito
12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Judy, I sure do love that one! Pixel Bender at it's finest!:)
Indranil, I remember that one! Beautiful. It has been a fractalius year for you!!:)
Christopher, You really do have a great eye for the older looking images and your Civil War reenactment images are now as popular as your barn!!:)

Kerry Perkins
12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
What a great thread! All of these images are special, both to the artist (yes, we are artists!) and the viewer. I remember each of them and love to see each individual's self-assessment. Wonderful work by everyone! :cheers:

Steve Adkins
12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Who knew turning something ON could be so much fun. :)
Thank you all for your time and mentoring.

denise ippolito
12-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Steve, Great image! I love the light!!:)

Julie Kenward
12-18-2010, 05:00 PM
These are some pretty great images here!

Mine is less OOTB and more just plain abstract but this one grabbed me the moment I saw it in the viewfinder. After a year and a half of chasing water images and trying to learn what lenses/settings/pp worked best, it all came together for me on this image, "Smoke on the Water."

Cheryl Flory
12-19-2010, 06:46 AM
oh, Julie, I love that image. How did you get it/adjust it?

Cheryl Flory
12-19-2010, 08:54 AM
this is my most memorable ootb image. True, I think I only have 3 to choose from. lol

This is from the first and only time I photoed a car. Didn't think I would like it, but turned out that I really had a great time. This is pretty much full frame.

Julie Kenward
12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice work on the car, Cheryl! I love the light/star in the BG - that really adds a ton to the image!

For the water image I did I used my 40D and my Canon 70-200mm lens. The water was on a small lake that I had good access to. I stood very close to the water's edge and shot the reflections in the water right after some ducks paddled by...they made the interesting ripples and turned the trees on the middle island area into the wavering patterns. Image was made in late afternoon on a sunny day.

Hope that helps! Post processing is listed on the image thread but it was pretty simple - only thing I did new here was to try Topaz Infocus software for the sharpening and it did a great job.

denise ippolito
12-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Jules, Your water images are inspiring! You have a great eye for art!!:)
Cheryl, This is way cool! Great job with the filter.:)

Cheryl Flory
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you Jules and Denise!

Jules, why did you use Topaz Infocus instead of the PS sharpening?

Mark Fuge
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
While there are many images this past year that I have enjoyed, thanks to what I have learned here on OOTB. This one is one of my favorites for the year. It was taken at a small wildlife refuge in Wisconsin, when we were there in October. Normally the water would be filled with Canada Geese, migrating from the Hudson Bay to southern Illinois. But for whatever reason, they had not come yet when we were there. We only saw about 100-150 of the normal 250,000-300,000 geese in the greater Horicon NWR flyway. Adding to my newfound tool Fractalius, this image keeps reminding me of a very restful scene of the past.

Some have wondered about the "flames" on the bank. Those are geese walking along the top of the bank. Just to keep you advised!

Again, thanks to all here, there are many other images I could share again. But I will make this my image of the year for 2010. :)

Seasons Greetings to all and have a Happy New Year!

Julie Kenward
12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I must have missed this one somehow...glad you chose it so I could see it! What a beauty!

denise ippolito
12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Mark, Really nice memorable image. Happy Holidays to you and Juanita. Thanks for sharing.:)

Mark Fuge
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jules and Denise for viewing and comments.

Likewise on the Holidays to both of you and all who share it with you.

Sid Garige
12-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Kerry,

Not a big fan of digital manipulations but your image is one of the best I have seen. Excellent.

Jay Sheinfield
12-22-2010, 05:39 AM
I"ve only been posting on OOTB for part of the year, but it has been a real learning experience. If I had to choose one image, it would be this one.

It was taken at a wild life refuge in Missouri. I was looking for birds but saw this beautiful sunset out of the corner of my eye. Without thinking or setting up the camera for the shot, I just snapped it. It was a bit of luck that my first pass with Topaz Simplify turned into something that expressed the mood so well. With some good feedback and tweaking, I am happy with it. It still needs some room a the top, but the task looked daunting, so I'll just stick with it for now. :)

Thanks to everyone for all your help..........

denise ippolito
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Beautiful image Jay, I love the light and the Topaz!!:)

Jay Sheinfield
12-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks, Denise.............

Andrew McLachlan
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
WOW! What a collection of great images in this thread. Having only been a member since early September I must have missed a bunch of them. Love this forum and being a member here at BPN - it is an awesome site! :)
Thanks to this forum I have discovered new tools for creativity and have thus chosen this one as my favorite for 2010.

Ian McHenry
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Must admit to having been fairly quiet on the OOTB postings this year while I try to fine tune my Topaz plug-ins.
So back to February for this image of a Sumatran Tiger with fractalius.
Thanks Denise for starting this thread and a Happy & Healthy Christmas to you all.
Less than 12 hours away over here.
Cheers: Ian Mc

denise ippolito
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Andrew, One of my favorites of yours! Love it!!:)Wish it were mine.
Ian, We have missed you. Awesome work here. Looks like you have perfected your technique!!:)

Paul Lagasi
12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
What a thread...just some great work in here by all

Arthur Morris
12-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, amazing stuff above. An impressive showing by all.

Dave Mills
12-24-2010, 10:05 PM
One of my favorites from this past year

denise ippolito
12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Artie, Your now famous Pelican is one of my favorites of yours. Lovely work!!
Dave, Perfect in every way. Love it!

Cheryl Slechta
12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
This is a recent image I worked on (my husband says my favorite book is always the one I'm reading:)). I liked the way it turned out and the process of creating it.
And, oh my gosh, what a lot of wonderful images posted here!

denise ippolito
12-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Cheryl, It's one of my favorites of yours too! Lovely image!!:)

Julie Kenward
12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh my gosh these are great! Jay, I am going to have to try that simplify filter on a field image - that is spectacular! And Andrew, that is one of the best fract images I think I've ever seen. This forum had a great year, that's for sure! Awesome images everyone!!!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
12-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Folks,

Greetings. Wow, what a collection! I hardly know what to submit... most memorable... hmmm.

Well, it has to be (for me):

Lucky for me to capture this at close to minimum focus distance and I learned a lot in the substantial processing. Makes a nice card, too... (my wife made some for Christmas presents this year).

Mostly, though, memorable for the techniques I've learned and honed through the generous suggestions, advice, critiques given here.

My best to you all for a memorable new year!

Cheers,

-Yamo-

denise ippolito
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice one Michael!:) I liked this when I first saw it!!

Kerry Perkins
12-29-2010, 01:12 AM
So many great posts I can't keep up with them! They are all wonderful and special. Keep them coming!!! :cheers:

Nancy Bell
12-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Winning the Focus on Nature contest by National Geographic and Canon with this photo and having it printed in Nat. Geo. REALLY encouraged me to continue with photography :)! This makes this my most memorable image of all time.

May your New Year contain many, many great images!!

Nancy Bell
12-29-2010, 05:06 PM
oops. I put this in the wrong place. How do I move it to the Most Memorable Images?

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Nancy, I think once it's posted as its own thread it has to stay here. No worries...we'll all see it either place!

And a HUGE congrats on the National Geo printing! Wowee! Awesome colors and the rain puts this over the top!

Cheryl Slechta
12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Nancy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm behind on my National Geographics - will have to dig them out. Has it already been published or is it an upcoming issue? The image is stunning:)

Kerry Perkins
12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Nancy, I remember this one - fantastic! Big-time congratulations for the publication, what an incredible honor! :D

Christopher Miller
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Lots of great images here! I recognize quite a few winners from the theme contests. :)

Big congratulations, Nancy!!!! :D

Indranil Sircar
12-30-2010, 01:47 AM
Big congratulations, Nancy! I too remember this image.

This is such an wonderful thread... all outstanding images.

Nancy Bell
12-30-2010, 04:39 PM
My hummingbird image was printed in the Jan '06 issue of Nat. Geo. So that is a ways back but still my most memorable image.

Steve Adkins
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Outstanding, remarkable image, Nancy! Big congrats. :cheers:

denise ippolito
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I remember this one Nancy! Great job and big congrats!!!:)