PDA

View Full Version : Stinkbug and Friend

Patrick Sparkman
12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
The number of bugs are starting to really dwindle down now, but I did find this guy roaming around on Saturday. He was on the concrete, so I found a nearby lichened branch, and got a few shots.

He did not like being moved around, and proved his "Stinkbug/Squashbug" name. Notice the small bug that crawled up on to his antenna.

Canon 1D IV, MP-E65, MR-14 Diffused, ISO200, f16, 1/250 sec

Dave Leroy
12-15-2010, 11:26 PM
An interesting looking creature. It is really amazing all that takes place and we have no idea of it going on at our feet.

Nice choice for a setting.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Patrick, this is a cool looking bug and I like the bed of lichen it's crawling on. I'd like a bit more DOF but with that lens, I don't think that was possible. I like tight crops but this one feels too tight so if you have it, I'd try adding more canvas to the bottom. It looks a little dark so I'd also try lightening it up a very small amount. Dropping down slightly while shooting might have given a better angle but since I wasn't there, I'm not sure what this would have done to the BG. We need more bug pictures to get us through the winter so keep 'em coming! :)

I think the hitchhiker might be a springtail but I can't be sure.

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Patrick,
I agree with Ken's assesment on angle....and a hair more room if you have it. I also think you could go a little lighter......but perhaps just lightening the hitch-hiker???....that alone may do the trick! Overall.....this was very nicely done!

Steve Maxson
12-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Patrick. Nice soft lighting with your flash - I like that the background didn't go black - and good sharpness within your DOF. The crop seems a little tight to me too - though, with that lens you may not have much more room to work with. The "passenger" adds interest, although I would wish that it was a bit more distinct so we could better tell what it was. :) Keep them coming.

Patrick Sparkman
12-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all of the great input!

To be honest, I barely saw the little critter when it ran up on the leg and antenna of the stinkbug. I only cropped a tiny bit off the top and right. With this lens and camera, this is as large as I could get. I think I will get a 5D II to use with this lens. Good suggestion on lightening, especially on the friend.

As for the angle, I did get lower with some other shots, but the small insect was underneath the large one and I liked the addition of the small bug.

Here is a closeup of the little guy, if someone can get an ID.

BTW - It is an MT-24 flash not a MR-14

Steve Maxson
12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Patrick. I like the repost - perhaps more than the OP. :) It really shows off the capabilities of that lens. Great detail on both insects. The little guy is a type of aphid. You might find BugGuide.net helpful in identifying insects - check it out. :)

yeshwanth gowda
12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
The use of light is good . good specimen

Thomas Herou
12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Ah,you have Stinkbugs in Texas too!
Nice camouflage,and I think the small one is a larvae from the same species,but I'm not sure.
The larvaes can look quite odd.

Anita Bower
12-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Wonderful detail in both images! Wow! Others have provided helpful hints. What amazes me is the beauty of this obnoxious bug! I fear the stink bugs I find indoors are fed to our chickens. :-)

Andrew McLachlan
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Patrick, I love the repost. No idea what the little fella is though.