PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Close-Up

Rachel Hollander
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa, late morning so the light was already getting harsh.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/400
f7.1
ISO 400
HH from a safari vehicle, cropped to remove some annoying bare foliage from below and some from the rhs for placement in frame, s/h, contrast boost and USM applied.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Marc Mol
12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice detail and clarity here Rachel, with the lighting conditions well handled, would it have been possible to get a lower perspective perhaps?
TFS

Rachel Hollander
12-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Marc - thanks. Unfortunately a lower perspective wasn't possible. I was in the seat behind the driver and could not be any lower.

Rachel

Harshad Barve
12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Looks like except me everyone have Leopards :p
Nice pose and details here Rachel , VWD
TFS

Ken Watkins
12-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Rachel,

Looks very contrasty to me probably the harsh light, a slight turn towards you would have added greatly.

Getting low is not an option for most of us in Africa I take kneeling pads (the type you use for weeding in the garden) these can help especially if like me your knees are worn out.

Hilary Hann
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Nice close up portrait Rachel, you appeared to have handled the lighting challenges well.

Marc Mol
12-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Rachel,

Looks very contrasty to me probably the harsh light, a slight turn towards you would have added greatly.

Getting low is not an option for most of us in Africa I take kneeling pads (the type you use for weeding in the garden) these can help especially if like me your knees are worn out.

True Ken,
however, some of the 4X4's have the cutaway doors, which enable a lower perspective.

Rachel Hollander
12-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Marc - I haven't seen the ones with the cut away doors in my travels. No doors, just steps on the outside to climb. Lowest I can get is off the seat with the lens just above the side of the vehicle.

Rachel

Ken Watkins
12-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Marc - I haven't seen the ones with the cut away doors in my travels. No doors, just steps on the outside to climb. Lowest I can get is off the seat with the lens just above the side of the vehicle.

Rachel

I have to agree with this in fact doors at the back are an extreme rarity, I have been in one at Mana Pools, and could never get used to not climbing in:)

Marc Mol
12-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to agree with this in fact doors at the back are an extreme rarity, I have been in one at Mana Pools, and could never get used to not climbing in:)

I probably haven't explained myself very well, should have said cutaway sides, I'll see if I can come up with an image.

Steve Kaluski
12-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Hi Rachel a nice close-up and you have done well considering all that you had to contend with in achieving the shot.

Personally I might suggest going tighter in, with, if possible a bit more below, but am aware why you cropped as is. Although I personally hate square crops, this might give another option, just squeaking a hint more below perhaps? Colour looks good, however if you were to lighten it slightly, then you need to be selective as you will get some highlights appearing around the chin & nose.

I assume it's the left from tooth that looks like an OOF small blob?:D

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Todd Frost
12-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Nice close up view of the leopard. Agree with cropping suggestion Steve has mentioned, although square crops don't bother me when warranted.
TFs
Todd

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks Steve and Todd, Yes, it's the tooth. Here's a go at the suggested crop though I still had to include a bit of the branch to get what I think you were suggesting.

I'll also post the original full frame shot and am happy to see if anyone can come up with a better or different suggestion.

Thanks all,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Here's the full frame shot. All are welcome to have a go at a different crop.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi Rachel, now seeing the original I can see why you cropped as you did. On reflection I think either crop could work IMHO, be interested to see others thoughts.

cheers
Steve