PDA

View Full Version : Ice Flow at Sunset

Jay Sheinfield
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
My first post to this forum, gulp!

I took this image while birding up in the Mississippi Wildlife Refuge area in Alton, MO.
Cropped to pan frame. A bit of saturation to the blue and toned down the suns reflection.

Nikon D3s
92mm
1/125 sec @ F/22

Comments welcome.............

Jay Gould
12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Jay, that is quite cool; you should play here more often.

I like it better with a crop at the dark cloud on the RHS to remove the bit of sun above the cloud. For me it is messy with the sun above the cloud line.

Jay Sheinfield
12-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Jay,

Yes, something was bugging me about that area, but I didn't see the crop, Nice catch! Here it is..............I think I slightly prefer it without the cloud line at all :).

Jay Gould
12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Happy to be of help; I like it with a thin cloud line framing the sun.

Dave Leroy
12-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow. I did not realize you had been having that much cold weather.

Very interesting flow pattern and good catch on the bit of protruding sun.

I really like the nice curves and leading lines.

I wondered about a bit of crop also off the bottom, but i think the nice cool light there balances the sun. It might also work well as a vertical.

Well done.

Dave

Dave Mills
12-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Jay,Love the flow as a LL with good placement of the sun. When I first saw this I was going to opt for more sun since I wasn't happy with how close to the edge it was. Now with the crop I'm unsure but would have liked to have seen a comparison with more room at the top to make a final decision...

Jay Sheinfield
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Dave,

The only thing above that reflection of the sun was a levy, and it wasn't too pretty. Maybe I just should have waited for the sun to set a bit more........but, there were these swans flying over my head :). I have a few more snaps of the scene that I will check out for more sun............Thanks.

Andrew McLachlan
12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi jay, really like the repost. Love the colors and the blue. The blues look a little brighter in the repost I like that too.

Christopher Miller
12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Beautiful colors, Jay. The flow of the ice is perfect. I might crop about an inch and half or so off the bottom to eliminate some of empty space while still keeping the main flow of the ice. I also might bring up the highlights a bit more. Just my opinion!

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey Jay,
Welcome to this forum! When I first looked at this.....I thought more sun too!.....but saw why you chose that route in your response.....so good call there. Like Jay Gould.....I too prefer it with the band above.....so just eliminating the sun area would work for me.....perhaps even a bit of patch/clone if you prefer. The repost ice is a bit brighter.....so like Andrew I do like it a bit better. You could play aroun in there to further accentuate the flow lines.....but I do like the darker mood of this as presented. All in all a very nice first post! See......that wasn't so bad:D!

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree, the record was the way to go.