PDA

View Full Version : Gayhead Cliffs, another view

Dave Mills
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Photographed at Martha's Vineyard in late Oct. Loved the lit cliffs and tried to get as many comps as I could. The wind was almost at gale force when I shot this.
Nikon D300,17-85,F22,1/50,0 comp,ISO 400,tripod mtd

Jay Sheinfield
12-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Dave,

I have zero experience with landscapes...........love the colors. It feels a little vertically centered to me, like either more water perspective or more sand would be balance it out one way or the other...............maybe a bit off the right??? Again, my opinion on landscapes is very uneducated............:o

Jay Gould
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Jay thinks Jay is onto something with the vertically centered observation. I did an onscreen crop with a tall notepad and liked it cropped just to the right of the large rock. The lit cliffs are a grabber; no doubt about that.

Dave Leroy
12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Lovely scene and I really like the colours.

Good job on lining up the wave line with the distant cliff.

It could be my eyes, but I am wondering if the scene needs a bit more sharpening.

Dave

Andrew McLachlan
12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi Dave, does look like maybe it needs a touch more sharpening or a touch more contrast. Love the way the incoming waves lead up to the cliffs. The dark clouds add a nice touch of interest. I like it as is. Did you shoot any long exposures to blur the water and clouds? That may have been neat to try.

Christopher Miller
12-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Some real nice lighting there, Dave! Excellent comp with the sunlit cliffs and the waves leading you in. I think iit could maybe use a little CW rotation, but I'm not sure.

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey Dave,
Whoa!!!....a ton of suggestions! When I first looked at it I thought a bit more USM. After reading the crop suggestions......I kind of like the idea and then you could proportionally take off the bottom if you want to keep the aspect ration. Sweet light on the cliffs and very nice sky too. All in all a bit of sharpening will make this a winner.

Robert Amoruso
12-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Dave

I agree with the vertically centered comment too. Good catch by Jay.