PDA

View Full Version : Pair of trouble makers

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-14-2010, 10:43 AM
This was taken hand held with a 1D4, 500 f/4 IS, f/5, 1/500s, ISO 400. The heron on the right was about a foot farther back than the one on the left. So I took two images one with the focus plane on each heron and compositted the two images together in Photoshop. The image was not cropped in post.

I do wish the background was a little nicer.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Arvind, nice PS work and good thinking on your part. Terrific sharpness and colors. I find it a little tight on the left side.

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
You're right, it is a little tight on the left. Since this one has already gone through PS, I might as well loosen up the left with a little clone stamping and content aware fill. Thanks!

denise ippolito
12-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Nice pp work. I agree it's a bit tight. I like the poses and the head angles on both.

Paul Lagasi
12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I've used this method lots, well done, nice sharpness and color...very good PP work...

Daniel Cadieux
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Well thought out and nice end result. Agree for a bit more room at left, and ideally I would have preferred more of a head turn from the left bird (although it is still OK as is). Well seen and executed!!

Arthur Morris
12-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Well thought out and well executed. I rather like the BKGR. What I love best is this: same species, one bird with a one inch neck, the other with an 8 inch neck!

Had you seen them at the nest?

ps: Thanks a ton for your membership and great to see you posting here. Are you planning on bringing your 500 on the South Georgia trip?

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks Artie. I believe one of these were in the nest, yes. I took this image in May this year on the Anhinga Trail (coming back from the Galapagos).

I have to say, a BPN membership is one of the cheapest on the 'net and just in the last few days I've gotten some of the best actionable constructive feedback, totally worth it.

I am really hoping to bring Canon's new 500 on the South Georgia trip, hoping for a considerable weight savings...

Arthur Morris
12-14-2010, 10:10 PM
What month at Anhinga?

Thanks for your kind words about the site. We have some great folks here in Avian :)

I will likely wind up buying a new 500 and a new 600 and would love to have the 500 to take to Midway in April but that will be tough... Sometimes I feel under-appreciated by Canon (who is overall incredibly generous to me via the Explorers of Light Program). When the Mark IV was released probably thousand of consumers had one before I got my two.... You gotta love it.

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
That was in the last week of May this week at Anhinga. After Galapagos, my wife and I spent several days driving around south west Florida, absolutely loved it. As soon as I can find some time I am planning on heading there for some serious bird photography.

I'm curious to see how much weight loss the new 600 has, it will probably come in well under the 800. I got the 800 largely because I was using the 600 with a TC so often and it was lighter than the current 600. When the new comes come out, it'll be time to re-evaluate the whole lineup.

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions and comments, the final version (with a bit more room added to the left of the frame) is now on my blog.

Arthur Morris
12-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Aravind, Thanks for the month. You should be there when it is good! I too cannot wait to learn the weights of the new five and the new six.... It is strange to me that they have not been announced yet with the rumored availability being next spring....

And yes, depending on the weight of the new 600 and on how good the Series III TCs actually perform it will be time to "re-evaluate the whole line-up..."

Aravind Krishnaswamy
12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Yea, I'd love to be in Florida in February, I can imagine its spectacular. Just have to find a February where I can get away...

Arthur Morris
12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I am with you on that. Not enough time on this merry go round....