PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Waxwing

Craig Brelsford
12-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Bohemian waxwings have also made an appearance in Shanghai this year. I decided on a close-up crop, cloning out the berries above the head and the sticks in front of the chest. The rest of the BG I left in to suggest the natural setting. Original posted below.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: ON
Aperture: F/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/320
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.3EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1000

Craig Brelsford
12-14-2010, 03:10 AM
The original.

Geoff Warnock
12-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi Craig, nice detail in your close up. I must say though, I prefer to see the whole bird as in your original. The large OOF branch on the right is unlucky though, so I can understand your choice to go tight. Maybe a vertical composition to avoid that branch but keep the whole bird? It does sound like you've had a great chance to photograph these birds there. I'd be very glad of a similar chance!

Craig Brelsford
12-14-2010, 08:23 AM
I must say though, I prefer to see the whole bird as in your original.

Of course, I understand. The crop I've presented here is just one of a number of possibilities. If I go back out, then I lose a bit of the details on the feathers, which I wanted to accentuate. But certainly giving you the whole bird is an option.

Chris Martinez
12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I like the composition and love the little head turn. I get a feeling that the bird is just there. I get a sense the bird is deciding whether to hang around or leave you for dust. This is an adorable little bird with such soft colouring(apart from the bold black:cool:

Craig Brelsford
12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
You're right about waxwings being adorable, Chris. I spent three days with them and never grew tired of them.