PDA

View Full Version : KOLMANSKOP NAMIBIA

ken dyball
12-13-2010, 06:15 PM
This image was taken Aug this year, was my first trip to Kolmanskop which is just of the Namibian coastal town Luderitz, Kolmanskop a old dimond mining ghost town built by the Germans, now Nature is reclaiming the town filling the houses with sand, this place is truly spectacular for photographers!

Nikon, D700, 14-24mm 2.8
F13, 1/13 sec

www.africanatureimages.com

Dave Mills
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi Ken, interesting image with the aged wall playing against the rippled sand. I like the placement of the bedpost along with the mostly soft light. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the brighter areas. Lets see what others have to say.
Overall I feel you handled the image nicely....

Robert Amoruso
12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Dave,

You brought up a good point on the three bright areas.

Ken,

I feel the bright areas distract from the image as a whole. I really like all the other subtle details in the sand, walls and bed post, but my eye is too much drawn to the bright areas.

I really do like that you are thinking your compositions through and making some exceptional images. And congrats on IOTW - Wildlife (please see my comments there http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?76625).

Roman Kurywczak
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey Ken,
That must be some place to photograph!!! All the elements are placed well at the scene and it has an overall great comp. I agree with the 3 bright spots and looking at this....it screams HDR to me! Even though I don't do them very often....in this case I think the added tonality in the bright area would help improve the image overall. Not sure if you are comfortable with such things.....but if you are try processing one for the highlights and one for the rest.....see if then you can blend the 2. This would make the image stronger IMO as I don't see any in the field options to deal with that light.

Andrew McLachlan
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi Ken, very nicely composed. Love the tones in the sand and the wall. I think Roman offers an excellent way to over come the 3 bright areas on the wall.

Tim Munsey
12-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Well composed, head board on the thirds, I'd just straighten up the wall on the right.

Tim

Douglas Bolt
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Very nice. I immediately thought of B&W, but that is probably because of a recent purchase of NIK Silver Efex. Here is what the image looks like with Green filter applied.

ken dyball
12-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Thankyou all for the comments, Roman & Robert & Dave i to am not sure about the light from the windows thats why i posted it, this one was shot in the evening, and i shot the same scene in the morning with no light on the wall it looks ok, but a bit flat, i will see how my PS skills are & try Romans advice

Cheers

Gerald_Gilligan
12-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Ken,

There is an unsolved mystery in this image...

How does a bed frame end up above the sand dune?

How does it climb up the sand or not become buried under the sand?

Hmmm...

Jerry

ken dyball
12-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Ken,

There is an unsolved mystery in this image...

How does a bed frame end up above the sand dune?

How does it climb up the sand or not become buried under the sand?

Hmmm...

Jerry
Jerry,

my guess is someone sat it there a few years ago for a photo!!

Charles Glatzer
12-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Ken,

Love the image and inclusion of the 3 bright window highlights. I do however think the overall image would be greatly enhanced through multiple exposure technique...masking, HDR, etc to hold detail throughout the highlights.

BTW- wonderful images on your site!!

Chas

Andrew Aveley
12-29-2010, 03:49 PM
A great composition with the other issues covered. I would love to hear more about the trip you did!:cool: