PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Arch Trails

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Similar perspective to daytime post of skyline arch......but got a bit closer to include just the arch. This was a difficult paint job!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm for almost an hour at ISO 200 at f4. Skyline arch painted with a flashlight and all tripod mounted w/ bubble level in hot shoe and cable release to lock shutter open. Saved at 67 quality.

Geoff Warnock
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Roman, a very nicely executed and intriguing image. Did you walk around a lot to paint the arch and rocks?

I'd also be very interested to know more about how you calculate your exposure for this kind of image?

denise ippolito
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Roman, I love this one. I can't wait for your guide to come out so I can learn to do these images myself!!!:)

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Roman, a very nicely executed and intriguing image. Did you walk around a lot to paint the arch and rocks?

I'd also be very interested to know more about how you calculate your exposure for this kind of image?
Thanks Geoff,
No real calculation......you can leave the shutter open for 8 hours or longer.....if you have enough dark hours. The trails will be much longer than. I find 1 hour gives me enough of a trail to make it work. As for the painting.....sometimes I walk around.....but in this image, I didn't have to as it was mostly paralllel to the sensor plane.
Book should go for final edit this week Denise......I promise!

Jay Gould
12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Another buyer in waiting!

PS: Cool image.

Morkel Erasmus
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
magnifique Roman! the paint-job deserves special commendation as this is hard even with small foreground subjects :D

Robert Amoruso
12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Excellent Roman.

How come this is not on the front of Pop Photo this month. Most of ours best that one easily.

I would only suggest evening out the brightness to the right of the arch to better match the rest of the rock face's tonality.

Tim Munsey
12-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Like it Roman, like it! Contrast of motion and shapes.

Tim

Gerald_Gilligan
12-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Hey Roman

Love the star trails and I really love how the trails flow through the Arch!

Can you reveal your in camera settings and any other post processing.

I have been experimenting with some time lapse and my skies seem to have more red than black and you seem to have a good balance here...

Jerry

Roger Clark
12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Roman,
I like this image very much. The composition is great, and that is a good arc on the stars. But I'm trying to figure out what happened to the star colors. At ISO 200, you have a lot of dynamic rangeand the stars should show many nice colors. What processing steps did you do in raw conversion and post processing?

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
12-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Roman,
I like this image very much. The composition is great, and that is a good arc on the stars. But I'm trying to figure out what happened to the star colors. At ISO 200, you have a lot of dynamic rangeand the stars should show many nice colors. What processing steps did you do in raw conversion and post processing?

Roger

Probably in PP'ing Roger. I don't spend a lot of time right now on PP'ing. I did nothing in raw conversion but my best guess to kill the colors would be selective color>taking out black in the white channel. When I do quick and dirty processing.....that happens a lot! I will keep that in mind for the large file.....as I know there are all sorts of colors in the stars! Thanks and hope someone else sees this so they can realize not to mess with the star colors.