PDA

View Full Version : Ross' Goose

Joerg Rockenberger
12-13-2010, 01:26 AM
The original isn't that sharp and I normally wouldn't post it but for the background colors which IMO really make the image. That and that among the thousands of images I took during Thxgiving week at Bosque this is the only somewhat decent image of a Ross' Goose... Need to look out for them next year.

Canvas was expanded on the left and bottom using the Content-Aware-Scale feature in CS5...

Best, JR

Canon 1DMKIV (rented), 500F4IS, 1.4TC, 700mm, 1/2500s, F5.6, ISO 200, Subject distance 46m, Manual Exposure, Gitzo Tripod w/ Mongoose 3.5a

Christopher Marek
12-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Looks fantastically sharp to me! How can you make something sharp that isn't "That Sharp"? Love the background. I was out at Bosque. I had huge trouble keeping the autofocus from zooming out to the background, after which I could not recover in time. I can appreciate this shot. I will try again next year.

Randy Stout
12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Joerg:

I can see why you liked this one. The BG colors and subtle textures are really nice.
I would prefer no merge of the head with the far wing, but their is enough difference that the head/bill remains distinct.

I like the image composition as well.
You did a good job of improving the apparent sharpness.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Joerg, The well exposed white of the goose really stands out against that colourful striking BG. Good landing pose, and does the BG need some NR?

Pieter de Waal
12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Joerg I agree with you the background colours are amazing and certainly make for an exciting image overall. Love the landing pose of the Goose, particularly the pfrofile of the near wing.

Christopher Marek
12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Joerg:

I can see why you liked this one. The BG colors and subtle textures are really nice.
I would prefer no merge of the head with the far wing, but their is enough difference that the head/bill remains distinct.

I like the image composition as well.
You did a good job of improving the apparent sharpness.

Cheers

Randy
Randy I wanted to respond to your private message but I got the following error:

Randy Stout has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_errormessage -->

Josée Normandeau
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
What a shot! Whites are exquisite. Light and BG just fabulous.

I live in ''snow goose land'' and I don't have any inflight shot of Ross' goose. I have to go to the Bosque next year.

Harshad Barve
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
killer image , lovely techs and great wing position
TFS

Troy Lim
12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Stunning shot....

Craig Brelsford
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Good work on the whites, Joerg. Outstanding image.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
First thank you all for taking the time to comment and the positive feedback.

Looks fantastically sharp to me! How can you make something sharp that isn't "That Sharp"?

I've come to learn the past year or so that images which are not perfectly sharp at 100% in the original still can really pop once resized to typical web sizes... That being said a significantly OOF image won't make it at whatever size...

I was out at Bosque. I had huge trouble keeping the autofocus from zooming out to the background, after which I could not recover in time. I can appreciate this shot. I will try again next year.

That sounds like my experience with my 40D/7D/500 combo last year. What were you taking images with? I rented this year a 1DMkIV for Bosque and boy oh boy... what a joy. Still got plenty of OOF shots but a vast improvement to my experience the previous year.

I would prefer no merge of the head with the far wing

Thanks Randy. Completely agree. Without the background colors I'd probably tossed that image on that count alone.

I live in ''snow goose land'' and I don't have any inflight shot of Ross' goose. I have to go to the Bosque next year.

Now that would be somewhat ironic. :) Make sure to buy Arthur's Bosque guide if you go.

Best, JR

Christopher Marek
12-14-2010, 01:03 AM
First thank you all for taking the time to comment and the positive feedback.

I've come to learn the past year or so that images which are not perfectly sharp at 100% in the original still can really pop once resized to typical web sizes... That being said a significantly OOF image won't make it at whatever size...

That sounds like my experience with my 40D/7D/500 combo last year. What were you taking images with? I rented this year a 1DMkIV for Bosque and boy oh boy... what a joy. Still got plenty of OOF shots but a vast improvement to my experience the previous year.

Thanks Randy. Completely agree. Without the background colors I'd probably tossed that image on that count alone.

Now that would be somewhat ironic. :) Make sure to buy Arthur's Bosque guide if you go.

Best, JR

I shoot with the 30D. Just so that we know I am capable of sharp in flight shots, I posted Bosque Image 6, Started by Christopher Marek (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?6185-Christopher-Marek), 12-06-2010 08:25 AM

But as I said I had problems (and I am more than willing to admit to user error if need be).
I certainly do not want to go out and buy another more expensive camera if indeed I am the problem and not the camera. I am trying to figure that out now. Daniel ? has sugested that the 30D is fine for doing this large bird photography.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-14-2010, 01:35 AM
I shoot with the 30D. Just so that we know I am capable of sharp in flight shots, I posted Bosque Image 6, Started by Christopher Marek (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?6185-Christopher-Marek), 12-06-2010 08:25 AM

That surely is a fine image. But it's relatively easy as the background is a blank sky compared to a busy background... And frankly, I think it doesn't look as sharp as it could be given the circumstances. But that may have to do as much with post-processing as with the original image...

But as I said I had problems (and I am more than willing to admit to user error if need be). I certainly do not want to go out and buy another more expensive camera if indeed I am the problem and not the camera. I am trying to figure that out now. Daniel ? has sugested that the 30D is fine for doing this large bird photography.

I have no doubt that the 30D can deliver great images. But it depends a lot on the situation and personal skills. So only you can decide if spending more $s on another camera body is worthwhile. Hence, I'd suggest you rent for a weekend or longer a more advanced camera than the 30D if you feel you're limited by your equipment. Good luck. JR