PDA

View Full Version : The Big Glow

Jeffrey Sipress
12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
This is what we all want when in redrock country, especially in a slot canyon or the Zion Narrows, as shown here. I crawled in there on Nov. 2 of this year. I think Roman might have been there at that time. Probably walked right past him! Sorry if I missed you, I was concentrating....

1DsIII, 17mm ts-e 1.6 sec f11 tripod.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Jeffrey,

Overall, this works exceptionally well. Shutter speed just right for the correct amount of silkiness in the water.

In the BG top, brighter part of the rock, I would knock down the brightness of the top portion some, perhaps the top 1/8 of the bright portion on the image. For some reason and I assume because it is brightest at the top, my eye is drawn there. Make the upper portion more of the same luminosity as the lower part will alleviate that.

FG bottom, the larger rock that is cut. Was it possible to get that one in with encountering another rock? I am guessing not so you chose to cut there and that would be a good choice.

FG lower right side, the small edge of the rock is cut. Would be nice to have included it.

Minor stuff to be sure. Nice work.

Andrew McLachlan
12-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Jeffrey,

Wonderful work, love the colors in the rock. Agree with Robert on the brightness of the top portion.

Dave Mills
12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Jeffrey, Nice overall job on this. Agree with Robert's comments regarding the bottom rocks.
Maybe it's my monitor but I really don't see a brightness problem with the backround rocks. It looks evenly lit to me with a good exposure.
I like your use of the RH rocks and the water flow. Good job!

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey Jeffrey,
I did miss you as I was there with my group at the same time! We did not go up the narrows though as the group wasn't up for it! I agree about the LR rock......but light looks good to me also. I do see where Robert is talking about.....so exploring that for yourself isn't a bad idea.....but works just fine as presented also!
Very nicely done overall and perhaps I'll run into you out there next year!