PDA

View Full Version : White-tailed Kite.

gary rouleau
12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Out with Doug Brown and Arash Hazeghi in California.
Canon mark III
500mm f4
Iso 640 f5.0 1/1250
Hand held

Comments?

cheers
gary

Paul Lagasi
12-12-2010, 12:57 PM
This is one lovely bird, I've still never gotten close to one. I like the composition, sharpness and background..well done

Christopher Marek
12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
The composition is well done. The exposure is dead on for this white subject. Ant the subject is cool with a great head angle. But I just have to ask. How can you achieve all this hand held? How exactly are you toting such a lens if it is not mounted to a tripod? How do you support such a lens at the time you are making the shot? Are you leaning against your car. Perhaps the shot was made from a car and the lens is lying there in the passenger seat ready for you to grab it when the next opportunity arrives.

arash_hazeghi
12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Awesome image Gary, love the exposure and details, a great image from one of the most challenging raptors, I am glad you got some nice images despite the rather low activity and tough conditions. It was a pleasure meeting you! Hope the trip back is peaceful and you can enjoy reviewing images after two days in the field!

To Chirs,

You do not need support to make tack sharp images with the 600 hand hold, even with a 2X, not everybody can do it but some can and the trophy is a shot like this. You cannot use a vehicle in Half Moon Bay, CA the birds are out in the field and you have to go after them on foot in the mud and spend a whole day lugging gear to take one photograph like this, a tripod is useless in these conditions. Unfortunately this is one of the places that is very unproductive for people who need a tripod for photography and is not recommended for them.

Christopher Marek
12-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Awesome image Gary, love the exposure and details, a great image from one of the most challenging raptors, I am glad you got some nice images despite the rather low activity and tough conditions. It was a pleasure meeting you! Hope the trip back is peaceful and you can enjoy reviewing images after two days in the field!

To Chirs,

You do not need support to make tack sharp images with the 600 hand hold, even with a 2X, not everybody can do it but some can and the trophy is a shot like this. You cannot use a vehicle in Half Moon Bay, CA the birds are out in the field and you have to go after them on foot in the mud and spend a whole day lugging gear to take one photograph like this, a tripod is useless in these conditions. Unfortunately this is one of the places that is very unproductive for people who need a tripod for photography and is not recommended for them.

I am that much more curious now. I would consider this EXTREME photography! Do you guys do 50 push ups before heading out? Are you carrying the lens inside the case it shipped with? I really don't envision you carrying it hand held the whole time. It seems there is huge risk to the lens if it is out in the open as you trudge through uncertain footing.

Doug Brown
12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Are you carrying the lens inside the case it shipped with? I really don't envision you carrying it hand held the whole time. It seems there is huge risk to the lens if it is out in the open as you trudge through uncertain footing.

I just shoulder my 600; no special case. It sort of defeats the purpose of hand holding if you have to lug around a case; you are trying to be as mobile as possible. These lenses can handle an awful lot; they don't have to be babied.

arash_hazeghi
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I am that much more curious now. I would consider this EXTREME photography! Do you guys do 50 push ups before heading out? Are you carrying the lens inside the case it shipped with? I really don't envision you carrying it hand held the whole time. It seems there is huge risk to the lens if it is out in the open as you trudge through uncertain footing.

Chris,
Doug Brown and I were carrying 500/600 over hilly terrain back in Sep. for 4+ hours at a time, it is not that extreme, but you have to be in shape, not overweight etc, I would consult with a physician first each person has a different limit. We carry our gear naked, the lenses/bodies are made tough and will take rain/dust/bumping into branches etc. there is no risk and you should have insurance any way.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Even before reading the posting and comments I was wondering if it was taken in Half Moon Bay, CA. Pretty sure the location was in the field west of the baseball field at Wavecrest Ave...

Great job on getting close, perfect exposure, pose and sharpness. Agree very much with Arash that it is a great challenge at this location... JR

arash_hazeghi
12-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Even before reading the posting and comments I was wondering if it was taken in Half Moon Bay, CA. Pretty sure the location was in the field west of the baseball field at Wavecrest Ave...

Great job on getting close, perfect exposure, pose and sharpness. Agree very much with Arash that it is a great challenge at this location... JR

Actually it was not at Wavecrest but the field north of Poplar area, almost half way through the field were the big trench is (be careful not to fall in the trench!)

Ian McHenry
12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Beautiful angle on this fine raptor.
Also like the perch detail and the blurred background.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Joerg Rockenberger
12-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Actually it was not at Wavecrest but the field north of Poplar area, almost half way through the field were the big trench is (be careful not to fall in the trench!)

Thanks for the clarification. I've always wondered if folks entered the fields actually or stayed on the trails along the fields... JR