PDA

View Full Version : Big Improvement #5

Paul Lagasi
12-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I recently went to South Carolina in search of Sharptailed Sparrow, which turned out to be a bust, due to the cold snap and very high winds.
I met a birder, who when I told him I was looking to get a few photos on this trip, suggested I go to Weymouth Woods, near Pinehurst in North Carolina.
If your ever near there, its really worth the trip, I had Pine Warblers, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Carolina Wrens, Carolina Chickadee's and both male an female Towhees at point blank range. Images to follow.
This photo is a big improvement over any other images of Eastern Towhees I had...never had one so out in the open...nice results using the 500mm.

I know the background is busy but these birds seldom come out in the open.

D700
Nikon 500 f4
1/80
f6.3
iso-1000
EC +0.3 due to heavy backlighting
ap

Arthur Morris
12-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Killer sharp but a bit washed out. Went darker, added BLACK to the BLACKs, Did a very little clean-up. Cropped.

Don Lacy
12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Paul, Adding some blacks to the blacks was the ticket ,the image works nicely even with all the clutter in the BG from the branches since the Towhee contrast nicely against it it does not get lost.

Paul Lagasi
12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Very nice..I see and really like the results..Thanks Artie

Added blacks to the blacks how??

Arthur Morris
12-11-2010, 08:06 PM
YAW. In Selective Color. As described in Digital Basics my F9 key runs an action that adds two points of BLACK to the BLACKs and two points of BLACK to the NEUTRALs--I run it on most images to give them a bit more pop. Here I did it 2X, added some BLACK to the WHITEs, and pulled the Curve down a bit on the whole image. Lots of great stuff in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) :) Lots.

Don Lacy
12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Added blacks to the blacks how??
In ACR when converting the RAW move the black slider to the right in PS you can use the levels adjustment the same way grab the left slider and move it to the right towards the histogram also can be done in curves.
Arthur uses a different technique then the one I use both have the same effect.

Daniel Cadieux
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
This is one of the nicer "busy" BGs I've seen in a while Paul! Artie's repost added the needed punch to your image. I do find the image a bit blueish though...

Looking forward to see the others you got too!

Arthur Morris
12-11-2010, 08:20 PM
This is one of the nicer "busy" BGs I've seen in a while Paul! Artie's repost added the needed punch to your image. I do find the image a bit blueish though...

Looking forward to see the others you got too!

Hey Dan, I ran an average blur color balance on it and it was perfectly neutral.... Go figure.

Arthur Morris
12-11-2010, 08:23 PM
In ACR when converting the RAW move the black slider to the right in PS you can use the levels adjustment the same way grab the left slider and move it to the right towards the histogram also can be done in curves.
Arthur uses a different technique then the one I use both have the same effect.

Hi Don, I do not believe that our two different techniques will have the same effect. They might be similar but there are definite differences in the two methods and in the results :)

I recommend never intentionally clipping the BLACKs during conversion. Note: I am not sure that you were suggesting that.... See the thread in the ER on making ACR conversions.

Don Lacy
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Don, I do not believe that our two different techniques will have the same effect. They might be similar but there are definite differences in the two methods and in the results :)

I recommend never intentionally clipping the BLACKs during conversion. Note: I am not sure that you were suggesting that.... See the thread in the ER on making ACR conversions.
Maybe not the same but very similar I will have to try your method since I usually set my black point in ACR I rarely have to adjust the blacks in PS. I am not suggesting clipping any channels in conversion just setting your black point to better define the true black in your image, Here is my version using a curve adjustment to add black to the image like I said very similar to yours.

Arthur Morris
12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Very similar but very different if you just look at the BLACKs.... I too set the BLACK point during every conversion that's how I know that the results will always be different :)

The BLACKs in my repost are much richer yet not clipped. That's the beauty of using Selective Color.

Don Lacy
12-11-2010, 09:47 PM
The BLACKs in my repost are much richer yet not clipped. That's the beauty of using Selective Color.
You are right in order to match your numbers in the blacks using my method I lose the rest of the image. Another method I have learn from you along with the linear burn :)

Joerg Rockenberger
12-12-2010, 12:19 AM
My immediate reaction viewing the image suggested it needs punch - though not knowing where it could come from. Arthur's repost gives it some of that. Though I agree with Daniel's comment that it appears blueish. The image may warrant some more work. JR

Arthur Morris
12-12-2010, 06:52 AM
You are right in order to match your numbers in the blacks using my method I lose the rest of the image. Another method I have learn from you along with the linear burn :)

Thanks for having an open mind Don. I love hearing my favorite words: You are right..." :)

Craig Brelsford
12-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Artie's repost is a big improvement on your Big Improvement, Don's less so.