PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Arch

Roman Kurywczak
12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I have this one with trials at night also. Figured I'd give you a break from the night images. Late afternoon. I have a few closer......but like the sky in this one best.
Canon 1D Mark lll with hte 17-40mm lens at 20mm for 1/50 sec. at f22 at ISO400 (wanted to freeze clouds) all tripod mounted w/ graf Studioball head and bubble level in H/S. Small crop off bottom. Saved at 64 quality.

Ron Bernstein
12-11-2010, 08:00 PM
This is a lovely image of a great place, Roman, but I wonder how it would play as more of a pano, with less of the clouds. I feel that there is so much interesting about the land, yet my eyes keep rising into the sky. I was thinking a pano might emphasize the landscape in more ways than one, keeping the viewer there, and replicating the length of the landscape in the image. Love the colors. Congrats!

Dave Mills
12-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Roman, I like how this was handled because to my eye it's a bit different. This arch naturally lends itself to a pano which I have done and I'm sure so has Roman so Ron is on track with his suggestion. In this case (getting into Roman's head:cool:) he was trying something different and I feel it works. The tree on the right is a strong element along with the late light. IMO the sky holds enough interest to command that much space....

Jay Gould
12-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Very nice; I would crop just above the two diagonal clouds on the LHS making it into a pano.

Nick Palmieri
12-12-2010, 09:20 AM
I like this crop as many of the clouds appear to be the same angle as the arch. I am sure Roman has the pano version and think it would work as well.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Tree on right balances with the arch really well.

Andrew McLachlan
12-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Roman,

Love it as is, if you shot it as a pano that would be a bonus, but I think works just as well. If it were mine I might be tempted to run a touch tonal contrast on the clouds to give them even more impact.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Like the clouds as I know hard hard they are to find out there.

denise ippolito
12-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Roman, The dramatic sky really sets off the arch. I like it a s presented very much!:)

Morkel Erasmus
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
this has to be a lesson in composition, Roman...well balanced and gorgeous colours...was ISO-100/200 not possible without too much cloud movement?

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 05:11 PM
this has to be a lesson in composition, Roman...well balanced and gorgeous colours...was ISO-100/200 not possible without too much cloud movement?
Great catch Morkel!!!! I chose ISO 400.....because the clouds were moving extremely fast!.....otherwise I almost always opt for ISO 100! I chose my ISO now......by how fast the clouds are moving and what effect I want!