PDA

View Full Version : Turret Arch Through North Window

Nick Palmieri
12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Another one from Arches National Park. This is a 3 image HDR processed in Photomatix. I cropped off the bottom then cloned out a small tree on the bottom right. I have some other ideas for this image so I would love to get others opinions about this composition. Canon EOS 5DMKii, ISO 200, f/22, 1/30 (+1, -1 EV).

Jay Gould
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I would like to see a stronger sky; it seems it is there for the makin'!

What time of day was this shot?

Interesting shot of a window through a window and beyond...............

Roman Kurywczak
12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey Nick,
We had some interesting skies that day. I agree with Jay.....more sky!......but in any case....there is a blown out spot just above the rim of N window on the rt....so just watch that. I may boost the contrast more on the rocks too and get more seperation from turret arch. Keep tweaking that.....this will work nicely as a B&W.

Dave Mills
12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Nick, I feel you did a good job on this. What grabbed me first was all the detail you pulled out of the rock. The sky has interest and as previously stated some small tweaks could bring it out a little more.
I played with a crop and taking a small bit off the left would further offset the opening. Either way it's well handled........

Andrew McLachlan
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Nick,

I too like the amount of detail in the rock. Love it as B&W. Agree with the Jay on more sky, but I would be interested in seeing a comp without any sky around the foreground rock too. Nice work!

Jay Gould
12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Isn't it interesting how one statement can be so changed! :o

I said:
I would like to see a stronger skyRoman and Andrew interpreted stronger to mean more!

I didn't say more :p

I meant that the existing sky could be "stronger", i.e., more contrast etc.

However, I also agree :cheers: that "more" and "stronger" would be good too. :cool:

Nick Palmieri
12-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys, I was with Roman so I have it at every angle, exposure (it was bracketed), and composition possible, so I can produce a stronger sky, more sky, no sky or whatever you want. My real intention for posting this was to see if people liked the sky on top or not. All comments are appreciated.

Dave Mills
12-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Nick, I've shot this a variety of ways also but I like the comp that you presented because it is giving a sense of scale to North Window. Without the break in the sky you wouldn't know how big the formation is. I also like the closer view where you don't see the break. Either way works well with me...

denise ippolito
12-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Nick, Great job and great advice! I like the way you processed this one.:)