PDA

View Full Version : Among the Clovers

Aidan Briggs
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I found this little yellow flower growing among a patch of green and purple clovers in the shade. I used my finger to move the flower so that it was facing straight up.

I like the darker rendition here, but the one dead leaf bugs me.

50D, Canon 60mm macro
1/60 sec, f/7.1, ISO 640
Full frame

Mike Fuhr
12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Really like this one -- the shadowed areas and dark greens really help focus the viewer's attention on the flower, even with everything else in focus. Nice capture.

Jay Sheinfield
12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Well seen and captured............agree on the dead clover being a distraction. If it were mine I would crop the bottom a couple inches and left proportionally to get the yellow flower in the ROT position...........nice details

Aidan Briggs
12-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Jay and Mike! Here's a crop as suggested.

Jay Sheinfield
12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Aiden,

Just for kicks I took your image to see, as if it were mine, how I would crop it.....we came out pretty close :)..........I also did some blending of the LLC dead leaf and some repair on the LRC leaf..lastly, popped the yellow flower...........happens to be my personal preference, may not be yours. In any case............well seen and well done.

Aidan Briggs
12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks Jay, I like your version better, though I might not pop the flower quite that much.

Anita Bower
12-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Wonderful image. I love that perfect yellow flower amidst the purple and green leaves. Great composition. Beautiful dark tones on leaves and details on flower. I agree with your concern about the dead leaf. You might be able to fix it, or, as others have suggested, crop the image. Eliminating the bit of yellow in URC is a plus. I prefer the brightness in your original post, along with the darker border areas. Well done.

Ken Childs
12-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Nicely spotted, Aidan! That little yellow flower against the dark purple and green looks great! If this were mine, I'd crop it even tighter than in the repost with more off the bottom and left and maybe even a sliver from the right. Toning down the bright spot in the UR would be a good idea, too. A great base image + a few editing tweaks will make this one shine!

Julie Kenward
12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Aidan, a real beauty you have here! If you look slightly above the one dead petal there's another one almost at the same angle/size. Select it (Control "C"), Copy it (Ctrl "V") and then click the move tool to drag the second copy (lying on top of the first one) down to where you want it. Use edit/free transform to move it to the right angle & position and you're done! No more dead petal!

Well seen on this one...and the deep colors are so lovely to look at against that bright yellow pop!

Steve Maxson
12-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Aiden. Nothing new to add that hasn't already been mentioned. I really like the image - the bright yellow against the dark greens and blues works very well, but the dead leaf is killing me. :) You have a number of good suggestions above in terms of cropping/cloning/etc. that will take this image to a very high level - where it belongs.

Anita Bower
12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Aidan, a real beauty you have here! If you look slightly above the one dead petal there's another one almost at the same angle/size. Select it (Control "C"), Copy it (Ctrl "V") and then click the move tool to drag the second copy (lying on top of the first one) down to where you want it. Use edit/free transform to move it to the right angle & position and you're done! No more dead petal!

Well seen on this one...and the deep colors are so lovely to look at against that bright yellow pop!

I was hoping you would chime in with a description of how to do this!!!! :)

Julie Kenward
12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Well there ya go, Anita! Merry Christmas! LOL

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey Aiden,
late to the party.....but some great advice above. I like Jays crop and repair......and like you.....just a touch off the color of the flower. Great job seeing this and working with the tweak suggestions!

Aidan Briggs
12-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks all for the helpful input everybody!