PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Bamboo Partridges

Craig Brelsford
12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
This picture is one of those few shots that one comes to enjoy more as time goes on. It dates from 21 June 2008. I found these two fully wild (and very nervous) Chinese bamboo partridges at the Botanical Gardens in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China. I was lying on my belly; the partridges are uphill from me. The flash put just the right amount of light on them.

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 120-300mm f2.8
Focal length: 300mm
VR: NONE
Aperture: F/5
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
White Balance: Cloudy, 0, 0
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 220
Flash: SB-800
Flash Mode: i-TTL-BL, 0EV

Stu Bowie
12-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Craig, great flash work, its so subtle, but it has worked well. I like the markings and colours of the partridges, and well placed in the frame. We all wish for the lowest possible angle to get that eye level shot. In this, I feel a tad higher shooting angle may have worked better to show the legs and feet. Looking at this again, as you have,:) I would maybe take at least half off the bottom.

Doug Brown
12-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Really nice use of flash Craig! The birds look sharp and well exposed, and you got good eye contact from both. I'm in agreement with Stuart about a slightly higher shooting angle and the crop. Also I might clone out the stick in the foreground.

Bill Dix
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice looking birds, well captured with good flash work. Good comment by Stuart.

Bhushan Dalvi
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Craig, great capture of these beautiful birds. Nice work with flash and the HA on both the birds looks fine. I would have liked to see some legs on the birds too. TFS.

Craig Brelsford
12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Good feedback, everyone. Thanks. I too would have liked a higher angle. I too would have liked to have included the partridges' feet. I happen to know why both goals were unattainable in that instance, but I understand that others don't know. I was close to the ground to make myself appear less threatening, and the birds were uphill from me.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Wouldn't have guessed that flash was used. Great! Perspective has been mentioned. Then the colors especially of the grass and green background appear a bit overly Kodak on my monitor. Sharpness and poses look great. JR

Craig Brelsford
12-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Another good critique. Thanks, Joerg. Back when I was just getting started, I had my "Set Picture Control" on "Vivid." I've long since abandoned this setting. In the photo above, I toned down the greens some but possibly could have toned them down some more.