Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 67mm
Av mode
1/8"
F13
ISO:200
Tripod
LR and CS3

Cropped, cleaned up some blemishes and holes on the leaf and wood. Dodged the lower part of the board to lighten it up. My first crop had slightly more room on the right and left but it didn't feel right to me.

I had to save at setting 3 to get this under the BPN size limit so some detail was lost. For comparison, here's a link to one saved at setting 9.
http://tinyurl.com/2ccgy5r

kostas nianiopoulos
12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I love it it's classic colours of the autumn , warm colours , nicely done

Dave Woeller
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice colors and I really like the difference in textures shown. I see the difference in the linked image, as it does show better detail. I like the crop, but am curious how it looked with just a touch more on the right only.

OvidiuCavasdan
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Nicely composed. I like the textures and colors.

Steve Maxson
12-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi Ken. Nicely done. I think this is an improvement over your previous version. I like the slight separation between leaf and knot here and the knot also serves to balance the comp. Like Dave, I'm wondering if just a little more room on the right would be an improvement. :)

Anita Bower
12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I like the tight crop (but that is me). I think the balance between leaf and board is good in this version. The light and dark is also nicely balanced. Neither leaf nor board dominate.

The last time I posted I had to use a lower quality setting than usual. I wonder if something has changed here at BPN?

Dave Leroy
12-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Lovely colours. I also prefer this composition with a bit of separation between the leaf and the knot.

Very nice choice of leaf and board.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-10-2010, 01:34 PM
The last time I posted I had to use a lower quality setting than usual. I wonder if something has changed here at BPN?

The problem is with photos that have lots of earthy tones. It's takes a lot of data to record those images so they almost always end up being larger than average files. I record raw + jpg and this jpg was almost 8mb out of the camera. For comparison, an average butterfly shot usually runs around 3 to 4mb out of my camera.

Andrew McLachlan
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Ken, really like this one. Improved separation between the leaf and the knot really helps. Well done!

Jay Sheinfield
12-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Can't say exactly why, but I like this over the OP...................the colors work better. Love the textures.

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Ken,
Another vote for a hair more room right (can you believe that from me?:D) but this works way better than the 1st post. Colors and textures are fantastic as is the light!