PDA

View Full Version : Water Scorpion

Steve Maxson
12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
This Water Scorpion (Family Nepidae) was photographed in my 2-gallon aquarium setup and is about 60 mm long. Although predatory, using their front legs to capture other aquatic invertebrates, they are slow moving and can be readily handled. The long "tail" is actually a breathing tube and they are often found in aquatic vegetation with the tip of the breathing tube just breaking the surface of the water. 40D, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24 twin lites, tripod. RAW file processed in CS3, levels, curves, saturation. I removed a lot of tiny specks from the water to clean up the image. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jim Bridges
12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I've seen a few of these and they are a fabulous bug. This is the first one I've seen underwater and I'm just awed by this image...wonderful exposure and details!

Dave Leroy
12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Well done Steve. I can only imagine the work and effort that would go into such an image. Good for you.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Steve, this is another great underwater capture! If this were any other bug, I'd probably say something about it being too straight in the frame but since I know this is how they are supposed to look, the pose looks perfect to me. :)

Things are in the works so I can try for shots like this next spring. I hope Santa comes through! :D

kostas nianiopoulos
12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
nice one , handsome guy u got there , first time i see this bug i dont know if there is here .

OvidiuCavasdan
12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Interesting creature, nice colors and very well done aquarium shot.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice capture Steve. I have seen a few of these over the years they are very very cool.

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Very cool Steve! Degree of difficulty gets you bonus points!!! Great job with the inclusion of the vegetation and super job all around!