PDA

View Full Version : Slice #2of the Great Colorado. RESUBMITTED: Thank you for your induldgence.

Rob Miner
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
<DL class=userinfo_extra><!--- PRINCEEDWARD MEMBER NUMBER START ---><DT>Member Number <DD>740 <!--- PRINCEEDWARD MEMBER NUMBER END ---><DT>Join Date <DD>Jan 2008 <DT>Location <DD>Angels Camp, CA <DT>Posts <DD>177 <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: boofo_postbit_threads --><DT>Threads <DD>48 <!-- END TEMPLATE: boofo_postbit_threads --></DD></DL>
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon1.png Slice #2, the Great Colorado

A big Thank you for all that commented on Slice #1. Slice #2 was shot approx. 20' to the right of the first one. 10% crop from the bottom of the picture as suggested in #1. Also, processed Slice #2 in Photoshop #3, Cloudy. Trying to warm up the flat light shown on Slice #1. Any suggestion for warming up flat light when you can not be there at sunrize or sunset. Second problem for this photographer with limited knowledge. When I saw the Grand Canyon this first time I was struck by the emence scope of what was presented to me. My thoughts, "How do you attack this photographic problem? (Problem: Give your photograph a chance to do justice to the magnitude of the situation.) Talking with several people photographing the canyon that day did little to answer or comfort this person. Their answer was to take pictures of small chunks of real estate, with a 70-200 F2.8 or similar lens and not face the problem.
My answer that I finally came to was to take a series of pictures with the wides lens that I had. Pano shots did not seem to work for this project.

Your critique and informative suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rob.........................

Camera Model: NIKON D2Xs
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Lens: 12 to 24mm
Focal length: 12mm
Focal length: 18mm (in 35mm film)
Image size: 1024 x 676
White balance: Auto
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal

Roman Kurywczak
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey Rob,
Still running around in Arches....so sorry for the late reply. I have been to the Canyon many times and it is a very difficult place to capture iis true essence and awe. You had great clouds (which is rare) but if you look at all the wow images from there......you have only a short window of about 1/2 hour b4 sunrise to about 1 hour after or 1 hour before sunset to about 1/2 hour after. This time frame is generally when those truly magical images happen......especailly in the desert SW! Storms can also be dramatic and improve your chances there.....but again.....rare. I think you were given good info on smaller slices.....as it loses some of it's scale when going very wide......but FG elements can often interfere with that grandeur. In this image....the LH greenery doesn't bother me....in fact it anchors the image nicely.....but the RH limb does intrude.....so only option was to get in front.....unless as usual....there was that big drop! Try these tips on this image as well as your other ones......in Robert's tutorials on tonal range tweaks.....there is a section for multiplied layers.....try that on the sky. Then tone down the brightness on the FG.....or even try a multiplied layer on the whole scene.....varying the opacity. If I get a chance when I get home on Saturday I will give a few tweaks a shot and repost it.....unless someone beats me to it! In the worst case scenario.....pull down the brightness......and then run a LCE (local contrast enhancement......also in the tutorial) and see if that adds some pop to the scene.
Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Dave Mills
12-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi Rob,Roman gave some great suggestions and I can't think of anything to add. The most important element is light which come at those magical times Roman mentioned....